Vector/Scalar Field that Translates Particles

I'm trying to get particles to emit from a source and then move with that source as it translates along.

So what would typically happen is your particles would emit and fly off in to space but I want the emitted particles to stay close to the source and still have other forces affect it.

I was thinking about creating a bounding box around the source then converting it into a volume and using the volume as a force to translate the particles but the volume injects unwanted velocities that make the particles fly off.

I've attached a basic setup that breaks down the desired effect.

VectorField_Translate_v01.hip

Thought about that but my scene is a little more complicated than this example, I have an organic deforming mesh with the emitter constrained to the surface.

I could probably strip out all the translation out of the original rig inside maya and then sim on a deforming (not transforming) mesh, thereafter reapplying the translation but that's a major work around and I'm hoping I can mix in some of the translation velocity.

That's why I thought a scalar volume could update the overall position of the sim per frame?