Q: How do I make a plane have thickness?

eko

How do I make a plane have thickness in houdini in Sop? I need the effects like ncloth thickness in Maya.  It can be used for collision detection.

Here's the images about get thickness in Dop using cloth node.Does any one knows how it works in Sop? Thanks!

post-6629-0-02633200-1414405272_thumb.pn

post-6629-0-36034900-1414405289_thumb.pn

Edited by eko

According to the images which I upload that It seems not the Extrude node can do this. You can see there's a sphere which wrap each points. Not the simply extrude. Extrude is base one direction such as Normal and thickness is wrap the grid. Am I right.

• 4 weeks later...

Connect IsoOffset after your grid (assuming size is 10x10 units ) change following parm values.  

Output type : Iso Surface > Mode : Minimum > Uniform sampling : Crank up to something like 100 > Offset : .1 or adjust to your taste.

Cheers,

-GM

According to the images which I upload that It seems not the Extrude node can do this. You can see there's a sphere which wrap each points. Not the simply extrude. Extrude is base one direction such as Normal and thickness is wrap the grid. Am I right.

Pretty sure it's putting a rounded box on each face for that. Those aren't actually spheres, its just an optical illusion.

Connect IsoOffset after your grid (assuming size is 10x10 units ) change following parm values.  

Output type : Iso Surface > Mode : Minimum > Uniform sampling : Crank up to something like 100 > Offset : .1 or adjust to your taste.

Cheers,

-GM

Iso Surface will give you a flat thick grid not inner divisions as shown in reference image.