Pop a warning window

merlino

Hey there,

I think this is kind of simple for "Coders Corner" but ... it's a first time ... so:

I want to open a window with a simple text like "Warning!" based on the sum of values I put in parameters I added to a node. More specifically I create 3 new parameters in a node, if the sum is more than 100 I need the warning window to pop up.

I can create a message using python with hou.ui.displayMessage("Waring!") but I can't figure out how to read the others values.

Any help?

Thanks in advance!

Marco

Some step forward: 

I can evaluate the actual value of the new parameter putting this code on the callback script:

if hou.node("/obj/subnet1").evalParm("parm") > 3: hou.ui.displayMessage("Hello!")

But it works only when I actually change only that value manually, if I put an expression like ch("tx")+ch("ty") in that parm it doesn't works ... maybe tomorrow I'll be more lucky! :)

You really can't do things like that in Houdini where the evaluation engine is fundamentally functional. The only way to sort of do this is perhaps embed a Python SOP which will then evaluate the parameters and pop up a warning when evaluated. However, nothing will happen unless your Python SOP gets evaluated and it won't unless someone actually needs its data.