VDB rest fields

Neon Junkyard

Hey guys, I'm looking to create rest fields for either a VDB or a regular volume that is deforming.  Specifically, I am using volume VOPS to shape my clouds with pyroclastic noise and advection. I would like to use rest fields to stick the noise to the object.  I have read in various forums about ways to do this, but they all involve pyro or manipulating the pyro shaders, since all my shaping is done in volume vops, does anyone know a way to incorporate rest fields into volume VOPS with VDB?

here is a reference to the effect im looking for-

Thanks!

Your example clip is probably about having the rest coordinates defined on the underlying surface geometry and being converted to a vector volume of their own. Then this rest volume is queried to get the coordinates to calculate the noise at.

If you're working in purely volumes, just create a vector rest volume in the beginning that has the world coordinate of each voxel as its value. Be careful to do all the same advection operations on your rest volume as you do on your density volume, then you can query the rest volume for the coordinates for the noise calculations as above.

• Like 1