Volumetric rendering

renderfox

'volumetrics using Image3d' - is a great tutorial, thank you Jason!

But it is absolutely no information about writing 3D VEX shaders.

I mean not i3d generator but shader which uses i3d data for image generation.

Jason wrote that in i3d file can be stored any data (color for example). And how can I use it?

• 1 month later...
'volumetrics using Image3d' - is a great tutorial, thank you Jason!

But it is absolutely no information about writing 3D VEX shaders.

I mean not i3d generator but shader which uses i3d data for image generation.

Jason wrote that in i3d file can be stored any data (color for example). And how can I use it?

13284[/snapback]

Hi,

I think there's a volumetric shader shipped with Houdini, the VEX 3D Texture Fog or something like that. It will take your i3d file.

-Elisha

These might help you learn a bit more about 'em:

od[force] i3d tutorials

14121[/snapback]

i think what renderfox and i are interested in that you do what you said at the beginning of the tutorial : " The first page uses the VEX Fluffy Clouds shader and subsequent tutorials will delve further into shaping clouds using metaballs and then how to code shader for the Image3D context. " :D

Sven

EDIT :

Just found out that theres no link from part 1 to part 2 and so i havent read that part yet ( but will do right now ) so now i am only waiting for part 3 :P The next installment will be the mechanics behind Image3d and an introduction to writing Image3d shaders. Once inside the theory of image3d, you'll see that image3d can be used for far more than just generating clouds. Creating coloured clouds, voxellising objects and creating vector fields for particles and sops are a few other examples.

i think what renderfox and i are interested in that you do what you said at the beginning of the tutorial : " The first page uses the VEX Fluffy Clouds shader and subsequent tutorials will delve further into shaping clouds using metaballs and then how to code shader for the Image3D context. "  :D

Sven

EDIT :

Just found out that theres no link from part 1 to part 2 and so i havent read  that part yet ( but will do right now ) so now i am only waiting for part 3  :P The next installment will be the mechanics behind Image3d and an introduction to writing Image3d shaders. Once inside the theory of image3d, you'll see that image3d can be used for far more than just generating clouds. Creating coloured clouds, voxellising objects and creating vector fields for particles and sops are a few other examples.

14140[/snapback]

Heh heh, whew - I guess I'm going to have to continue on that for my honour's sake. ;) Maybe one day we'll think of some nice i3d/point-cloud combination tricks too...

I think its a good idea that I convert those tuts to the odwiki and continue there. I am attempting to never load up Dreamweaver again.

Heh heh, whew - I guess I'm going to have to continue on that for my honour's sake. ;) Maybe one day we'll think of some nice i3d/point-cloud combination tricks too...

I think its a good idea that I convert those tuts to the odwiki and continue there. I am attempting to never load up Dreamweaver again.

14152[/snapback]

Sounds great :rolleyes: Cant wait till your done :D

Sven

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

It was a very hard time to waiting answer, and so lot of replays at a time:)

What did I meant:

in the same way as in Jason's tutor (very simple, but very effective) make a strightline to build a complete pipeline:

1. (don't need to explain) generating metadata (some particle's behavoire with special attribs assinging)

2. Rendering i3d files from data above (explained very well in Jason's tutor)

3. Building (or writing) the volumetric shader, wich uses i3d data and calculate raymarches

4. Rendering image (point 3 is only one which needs to describe for complete situation)

!SPECIAL ANNOTATION!

I'm not novice in this field of work, just I have an experiance only in custom C-coded or SL-RIB-C-assisted realizations.

But I'm very interisting in doing this things in Houdini only

Thanks for all for response