H7 HDK & libLM.so? (Linux)

Wow, lots of posts in this forum! :rolleyes:

I'm trying to compile with Houdini 7.0.164 and/or 7.0.167 on RH9 and RH7 machines, respectively. When I hcustom, I get:

hcompile: error while loading shared libraries: libLM.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Anyone run into this? Anyone know where to find libLM? What provides it? Is it the new lib main for a new gcc?

Guest xionmark

Hi Brian,

Haven't seen that error before. I just did a build on RH7.3 with H7.0.161 and didn't see anything like that.

I just googled for liblm.so and it returned a bunch of stuff, mostly related to Solaris oddly enough, and a few things related to X11 but nothing very informative.

SESI?

--Mark

hey BrianK I don't know to much about compiling stuff for houdini, but do you have the compat-libstdc++ packages for gcc ? I was getting a bunch of missing *.so files whilst trying to compile some basic linux programs, if you have apt-get installed just do an apt-get install compat-libstdc++. Of course i could be totally wrong, just trying to help.

Franks and Beans

Bjorn

HDK licenses used to be separate. It was announced at SIGGRAPH to be free (support is a different story) and is currently undergoing changes to make that possible. As those are special non-public builds (which company are you with again?), I suspect that those builds don't have a working HDK.

Guest xionmark
Yip, I just built a bunch of stuff with 161 on RH7 and RH9, no messages about libLM.so.

Not helpful, but maybe something got added post 161?

13461[/snapback]

Something does seem to have changed, I'm getting the same errors when trying to do builds on RH9 (using H7.0.172). And I get a weird license server error when trying to compile on Fedora Core 2 (the license server is a IRIX box, RH7 can contact the server fine though).

Does anyone happen to have a copy of H7.0.161 for RH9? Or should I contact support?

Thx.

--Mark

HDK licenses used to be separate. It was announced at SIGGRAPH to be free (support is a different story) and is currently undergoing changes to make that possible. As those are special non-public builds (which company are you with again?), I suspect that those builds don't have a working HDK.

13468[/snapback]

hmm.. I hadn't heard of non working HDK builds, but I suppose that's possible.

Any idea which version of H7 does have a working HDK?

... and I'm with Martian Labs, to answer your question. ;)

Guest xionmark
Any idea which version of H7 does have a working HDK?

I had success with H7.0.161 on WIN-XP and RH7.3 but had not tried it with RH9, I just got the distro from Jason, will try tonight.

I also got a weird license server error when running Fedora Core 2, same machine as I run WIN-XP and RH7.3, which contacts the license server OK.

Anyone else doing FC2 HDK builds?

--Mark

I had success with H7.0.161 on WIN-XP and RH7.3 but had not tried it with RH9, I just got the distro from Jason, will try tonight. 

I also got a weird license server error when running Fedora Core 2, same machine as I run WIN-XP and RH7.3, which contacts the license server OK.

Anyone else doing FC2 HDK builds?

--Mark

13523[/snapback]

Neither build 171 or 172 for RH7.3 have the HDK (not an option while installing).

Any idea where to get 161? I don't see it at the download site (other than for ia64).

Has 7 been officially released yet? If so, what is the release build? I'd imagine that would have a working HDK and be downloadable somewhere, yes?

Mark: we're not running FC2... RH & Suse only

Neither build 171 or 172 for RH7.3 have the HDK (not an option while installing).

Any idea where to get 161?  I don't see it at the download site (other than for ia64).

Has 7 been officially released yet?  If so, what is the release build?  I'd imagine that would have a working HDK and be downloadable somewhere, yes?

Mark: we're not running FC2... RH & Suse only

13524[/snapback]

7 has not been released yet, nope. 161 seems like a stable build, though. And it has a working HDK.

We have all the builds, well - except Solaris. I'd happily provide 'em to you if SESI doesn't mind. Or give them back to SESI to give to you.

77M Aug 18 09:33 houdini-7.0.161-linux_rh9.tar.gz

74M Aug 18 09:54 houdini-7.0.161-linux_rh7.3.tar.gz

71M Aug 18 10:19 houdini-7.0.161-win32.exe

59M Aug 18 11:07 houdini-7.0.161-irix.tar.gz

44M Aug 19 09:05 houdini-7.0.161-linux_ia64_rh2.1AW.tar.gz

Guest xionmark

I think that may be because the HDK is included with all distros now rather than being an option, I noticed the same thing this weekend when installing.

--Mark

We have all the builds, well - except Solaris. I'd happily provide 'em to you if SESI doesn't mind. Or give them back to SESI to give to you.

13525[/snapback]

Sent you a PM. ;)

I think that may be because the HDK is included with all distros now rather than being an option, I noticed the same thing this weekend when installing. 

--Mark

13526[/snapback]

ahh... interesting. Guess I shouldn't have deleted all of those downloads in my recent fit of frustration.

Good to know, though.

Guest xionmark
Go straight to 7.0.171 which has the HDK.

13534[/snapback]

I looked at this version for Windows last night and noticed there's a new "hdkinstall.exe" app in the toolkit/bin dir, and no more makeheaders! Yea!!! Thanks! (hcustom also now checks for the .NET tools)

--Mark

• 2 weeks later...

There should be an "hdkinstall" in $HT/bin. Run that (even under Linux) to get HDK working. You'll probably need internet conectivity to check out a (free) HDK license which happens automatically when you run hdkinstall.

and yes, make sure you have a newer build, I think I needs to be > 173 or 175 for Linux.