Is there a way to store and restore any data from one node into anothe

magneto

Hi,

I am looking for a way to store any data like geometry, attributes, groups, etc. For example let's say I have a box and a grid has 10k points and the box has only 6. The grid has a group of 5k points. How can I store this group on the box node and then retrieve it later on?

I looked at user data in Python HOM but it doesn't support arbitrary data. When I access the point group in Python, I get a reference (?) to where the group is stored in memory. I want to store this group data so that I can retrieve it later.

Is this possible in Houdini?

I tried this but using strings, and got weird results after some iterations. It might be a bug in my setup as I am gathering these points at each iteration to delete them from the second input at the start of the feedback loop, which means I have to use another attribute that stores the point number so when I add more points to delete, I can get the right numbers.

I thought maybe this way of storing was flawed though it look good on paper :)

Dops are exactly that - objects that can store any kind of data, but if you have the 10k plane present in the scene you already have this data stored.

Can you explain it a bit further. Why do you need to do this? Is there any real benefit?

Edited by rayman
  • Like 1

Thanks Pavel. Basically I am using the first input to search points using the second input that acts as the point cloud. At each iteration, new points are added to input 1, but also points are deleted from the second input so that I can search around the points of input 1, without getting the old points of input 2. Other than this the inputs are independent and AFAIK there is no other way to limit the point cloud searches without deleting points in the point cloud.

That's why I am modifying both inputs.

What do you mean by filtering? Deleting points? Because that's what I am doing right now. The issue is either I have to save the changes I made to this geometry or keep what has been deleted and delete them plus the new points at each iteration. I tried the latter but it messes up after 40-50 iterations. I am not sure what the problem is.

But if saving the deleted points as array/string into the first geometry as a detail attribute is the only way, I will use that I guess.