Suppress small Artefact in PBR render

I think the secret is like in any modern path tracer where you have to become a noise hunter and master exactly how noise is added at each pixel.

so i use the traditional technics where you outpout

- direct diffuse AOV

- indirect diffuse AOV

- direct reflection AOV

- indirect reflection AOV

- Pixel Sampling AOV

For each layer you control the amount of noise it create and you try to play with the pixel sample to get the minimum good enough pattern

this is an interesting read

http://www.cggallery.com/tutorials/vray_optimization/

https://support.solidangle.com/display/mayatut/Removing+Noise

Edited by sebkaine

As we now are heading out on noise hunting safaris we should also keep an eye on the another noise reduction technique; Pixel Filtering - Ray Histogram Fusion was added in H14, so far tests have shown it to be quite blotchy but that is probably just the operator :) You can now write your pixel filter too:

'Can now write custom pixel filters for Mantra'

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk14.0/_h_d_k__changes_14_0.html#HDKC14_0_vray_pixelfilter

I think Neat has a 10 or 11k pixel limit - which is a pixel sample of ~5 at 1920x1080

The file sizes are when sub-pixeled, and AOV'd, are atrociously huge then too; in-render pixel samples have to happen at some point.

Edited by tar

Pixel Filtering - Ray Histogram Fusion was added in H14, so far tests have shown it to be quite blotchy but that is probably just the operator :) You can now write your pixel filter too:

Ah yeah, almost forgot!

This is probably the perfect example scene for RHF to shine :) It is indeed a bit blotchy, and can eat away high frequency detail (see e.g. the stairs here), but all in all it really eats the noise for breakfast.

I changed the material to clay and pixel filter to the default RHF, otherwise it's all the same. Render time 26min for 1080p.

mantra_pbr_photon_RHF_26m.jpg

Edited by eetu
  • Like 1

Refined a bit; from what I remember about RHF I decided to feed it more but lower quality pixel samples, and I also lowered the threshold a tad (20->18). If you look at details, the result is noticeably better, less blotchy, more details but more noise. I still would bet that this does not hold for animation though, and just having more involved materials/textures would surely hurt. 29min for 1080p
mantra_pbr_photon_RHF2_29m.jpg

Edited by eetu

Ray Histogram Fusion is a win for volumes like smoke. :) Smooth, lacking detail and noisy are well suited to it!

set it to ~ 'combine -t 10'

I´m joining the ranks of the people who think that VRay example is only valid for stills. I admit you can play with all the values to have nonflickering renders, but it will certainly either a) increase substantially render times, or b ) lower the overall quality.

You cannot compare that solution with a PBR brute forced one. It´s not on the same league.

And yes, Mantra is pretty awesome but you gotta do your homework. Thanks a lot for the sample scene, Emmanuel.

You are right Javier i will ask to him to make a small animation to see if it flick.

Well i am now on par with redshift , because after optimising the direct sample / indirect sample i now have

1080P => 18 min

mantra_030_pbr_portal_photon_18m_51s.jpg

i have also try to make my own shader but it wasn't faster than the mantra one ...

apart from finding a way to optimise at shader level, i think we have push the stuff close to the max.

I have also try the RHF filter , but i find that it do an operation close to lightroom denoiser or neat image denoiser, it destroy the information at some place so i find after testing

that the best one is Blackman it is exactly beetween Catmull and Gauss. not too sharp / not too soft ... i prefer to apply the denoise destructive operation in post

well i will try next week to send an animation when i will have some time ...

as a side note i find that houdini have a tool to convert .i3d to brickmap so this mean that like prman houdini has ptc and bkm equivalent.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/nodes/out/brickmap

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini14.0/nodes/vop/pcwrite

I would be curious to know why they are not use for baking ?

Edited by sebkaine

I'm noticing excellent startup times in Vray for Maya and Arnold for Houdini - a few seconds - whereas Mantra is currently taking many more seconds - are you all getting the same on Windows /Linux? I'm thinking it's an OsX 'feature' 

I have also try the RHF filter , but i find that it do an operation close to lightroom denoiser or neat image denoiser, it destroy the information at some place so i find after testing

that the best one is Blackman it is exactly beetween Catmull and Gauss. not too sharp / not too soft ... i prefer to apply the denoise destructive operation in post

Yeah, it's a bit of a cheat, but I'm hoping that there is a genuine use case for it. Marty's tip about using it for volumes was very good info!

It should be able to be better than the post denoisers as it uses the info of all the individual smaples and not just the filtered end result. (On the other hand, things like neatvideo have the advantage of using previous and future frame info as well)

I rendered a short 50 frame camera move - it looks quite good at first look, but when you look closer it does have some of that flickering blotchiness. 22Mb .mov, 390Mb png sequence.

Should try this with some actual materials..

BTW, the 18 minute render looks great!

• Like 1

Awesome! I could totally use this on production and yeah using the sample filter is better than use post filters an image filter would mess with the details in the entire image like the internal thickness of the individual windows.

Edited by Mzigaib

@eetu => have you check the lock point sampling option in the mantra ROP ?

@marty => Redshift looks really cool ! i'm quite sure we can go less than 10 minutes with some practice and a good GPU. i only have a GF660 to test ...

Edited by sebkaine

Redshift looks very cool- at a guess perhaps 2-3 years away from making it into Houdini.

As I currently don't have too much time to spend in Windows what are some good settings to use in Redshift?