Importing geometry from ZBrush

Dezra

Hi to everyone!

I was playing around with ZBrush displacements and I wanted to see how mantra was performing with them.So I made a very simple cubeish like model and I painted some random deformations in ZBrush.Then I exported the low-poly version in .obj format. The file SOP though refuses to load it giving me a message "Unable to read file ...". Is this common? I thought .obj's were pretty standard these days.

Thanks.

This is the first time I've heard of Houdini being unable to read a particular .obj file. Given that zbrush is relatively new, I'd hazard to guess that they've added stuff to the .obj file that is non-standard. Could you zip the .obj file and post it here?

I can't see your attachment. I just "exported" a zbrush tool as an OBJ and managed to bring it back in using a File SOP so I'm not sure what's going wrong for you. After loading the .obj you need to pipe it through a Reverse and a Facet to point consolidate with distance set to 0.0.

-Drew

Sure , I've attached the file. Your guess is better than mine. :D

Thanks!

13979[/snapback]

Sorry for the attachment issue. Actually I compressed the files into a .rar file initially and when I chose attach I didn't see the message "You are not allowed to attach a file with this extension". I did forget to check though.

Anyway. Reverse & Facet , I hear you.

Hi Dezra - You need to use a lower case .obj for the extension.  :)

13983[/snapback]

Hi Moose. Nice to see you here.

You are right. Renaming from .OBJ to .obj did the trick. Just another case of Win32 (no case sensitivity) vs Unix.

Should have thought of that. The capital .OBJ extension was bugging me but I didn't think that it could be a problem.

It is the default setting for ZBrush (I think/have to check it out) to name exported geometry with capital letter extension. I'll post it in the ZBrush forum and see if there is an option to change it or if its hardcoded.

Many thanks :D .