Best approach for cloth ?

FEM differs from nCloth because it's thing shell tetrahedrons and doesn't use position based dynamics which while quick are not accurate.

Exactly the problem is that many of us don't really care about accuracy , it just need to look good , and most of the time all sims are at the end corrected in blendshape.

I have to do some C4D mograph cloth beetween sphere and cubes and i must confess i have to use nCloth. Maybe my houdini skills suck in that regard but it was so boring to find the good stifness / damping that i finally take a good old ballon presets in maya and it was done really easily.

I was wondering if people have try to use bullet to do cloth ? because with spring constrain and fast collision beetween sphere it might also be possible to do some cloth setup with it ? In the original bullet spec

http://bulletphysics.org/Bullet/BulletFull/classbtSoftBody.html

http://bulletphysics.org/Bullet/BulletFull/btSoftBody_8h_source.html

There is a btSoftBody class, maybe there is some things to explore in this direction.

Nicholas what do you mean by Carbon Solver ?

Edited by sebkaine

• 2 weeks later...

I've just switch to H15, and i must say cloth is really faster ... definitly good enough for production ! great job SESI.

Now we just need some clean presets per material in the Parameters Settings ! :)

Edited by sebkaine

• 11 months later...

Interesting thread. I have got some problems with Houdini's FEM cloth system too. Basically I want something like this:  https://vimeo.com/136480165 [vimeo.com]

What I'm getting is something like this: 

Nearly fit01ed every parameter to gain some variation but it keeps looking like either noise is deforming a plane in a rigit way or it looks jiggly like gum. So no problem with letting some cloth fall onto some furnature but waving flags and sails are pretty tough to make look good. I can get a way better result in C4D in less time. That just can't be. Does anyone think its possible to get a look like in the first video with FEM? 

• 8 months later...

Hello,

I am also trying to achieve this kind of cloth effect : a simple cloth square of silk, going from flat shape to this kind of distortion, without any attachment.

I tried with wind force and fan force but as said before, maybe the model isn't really suited for FEM solver.

I tried to import some vector volume and log it into the drag tab of the cloth, it works nicely but I can't configure a volume field that gives that sort of pretty sharp folds.

Any thought on this ? Is there any volume noise that would produce this kind of distortions ?

Thank you for your help.

Jerome

Edited by pasto