Which Linux for Maya and Houdini?

TheGeth

Hi, I have a low-end PC for CG and I think it can make nice things.I want to learn houdini because it has everything for FX.Now I´m using 3DS max with 4 plugins (fumefx,phoenixFD,rayfire,v-ray) and it´s not good.I want to use Maya for modeling, animation and houdini for FX(water,fire,destruction,...).I´m on Windows 7 now and houdini is unusable(crashing drivers,crashing houdini,ram problems,...).I want system dedicated for my work and I heard that linux is best for houdini but I have no experience with linux system and I know only ubuntu which is not very good for Maya.My PC: Intel Core i3-2100,4GB of ram(will upgrade as soon as possible),AMD HD7750OC,1TB+320GB HDDs.I want to install linux on my second 320GB HDD.Sorry for my english.Thanks.

To be honest, I'm not sure if jumping straight to Linux is the best solution here. If you are having issues with your video drivers and RAM that may be a sign of more systemic problems with your machine that would not be solved by a new operating system. At best you would likely just be trading one set of issues for another. I'm not trying to discourage you from adopting Linux at some point down the road, but I think it's prudent to rule out larger hardware problems before making a big move like that.

To be honest, I'm not sure if jumping straight to Linux is the best solution here. If you are having issues with your video drivers and RAM that may be a sign of more systemic problems with your machine that would not be solved by a new operating system. At best you would likely just be trading one set of issues for another. I'm not trying to discourage you from adopting Linux at some point down the road, but I think it's prudent to rule out larger hardware problems before making a big move like that.

I´m doing lots of stuff on my PC (gaming, game programming in Unity,Unreal 4, simulating with other softwares,...)so I think that it isn't a HW problem.The only thing which isn't working is Houdini 14.0.291 apprentice(and every version before).The GPU driver crashed when I imported FBX scene from 3ds max and it was very big but I rescaled it and it was ok.I searched on google and I found peoples which had same issues with houdini and with linux they can do bigger sims without a problem.

.[snip].I found peoples which had same issues with houdini and with linux they can do bigger sims without a problem.

This means the memory doesn't fragment as much as Windows, but you still need a lot more than the 4GB you currently have, say 32GB+ for good simulations.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi again, I finally got 8GB of ram but I still don´t know which distro will be better.CentOS or Ubuntu?Ubuntu is easy to setup but I need to pay for GPU drivers?

You can try Linux Mint. It is very user friendly, especially for ex-windows users. It is Ubuntu based, but many peoples think that Mint more accurate and stable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...