Bind Export VOP instead of AddAttribute VOP / beginner question

hi,

Im following a tutorial on the side FX Website.

I instanced boxes on a grid object. After that I changed the size of the instanced object with an attributvop. 

In the Tutorial it was done with an "addattrib" vop.

Add Attribute question 1.JPG

In my case that didn´t worked. After some reading in the help file I found out that I have to use an Bind Export VOP to change the values. In this case "pscale".

Add Attribute question 2.JPG

Is this the right way doing that stuff or did I missed something in the first vex construction?

Im using houfini 14 apprentice.

Thank you for any advice.

kind regards 

Jon

post-12840-0-26832800-1431029390_thumb.j

post-12840-0-55218200-1431029532_thumb.j

it is the right way

the way you see in the tutorial was for VOP SOP and similar, Attribute VOP and all CVEX based networks/wrangles don't have the same addattribute() function as you see there, they have different, but similarly named addattrib(), which in VOPs has Add Attribute alias which makes it confusing

however it's function is to create an attribute and it's default value, but not populate it with per component values (as was the case before)

to populate it with values you can use setattrib() in conjunction

Bind VOP or Parameter VOP are shortcuts to create an attribute and write the values for currently processed components

addattrib()/setattrib()/setattribtypeinfo() offer much more control over attribute creation and value assignment, which is not always required

• Like 1