Elven Head

TheDunadan

Hi everyone ,

I intend to play around with the nice SSS shader work Mario has made and do my best in creating a nice human skin shader with it (once I have time for this). Well, since doing it with some kinda model is more fun .. :huh: .. I modeled one :). Doing so I got to know Houdini's modeling tools and had some first hand experience on what happens when you start loosing control about the SOP network :P

Back to the model, it's not anywhere near finished, but at least it's now in a somewhat presentable state and I don't feel too bad about putting it online here. I'll update the model once I have a bit more sparetime for this. This will include a low res model with a hopefully suitable topology for animation.

For all those of you who don't enjoy modeling much and don't have any better model, feel free to create some nice colorful pictures with it and let us on odforce know about it. Have fun :D

Jens

Oh, I almost forgot: Don't convert it into *.obj or alike and put the model anywhere else online.post-623-1100207262.jpg

elven_head_v1.zip

• 3 weeks later...
It's very nice! I did not see so many good modeling jobs in Houdini so far. Did you do the entire model in Houdini? I have still my problems to model fast and comfortable in Houdini.

15337[/snapback]

as an example:

this is an lowres game-character. completly done with houdini in about 2days.

post-77-1102239269.jpg

Just a small update... I think the eyelashes make the head appear way more female :)

Minor edit: added the picture with eyebrows.

Jens

14915[/snapback]

Hi Jens,

Thats very nice. I'd only make one small suggestion and that is to make the eyebrows now appear so heavy near the nose. I'd make them start a little further away and taper them on. Unless, of course, you are intending to make her look a touch more aggressive and masculine. Also, I think the chin could be pointer/narrower.

Keep it coming:)

this is an lowres game-character. completly done with houdini in about 2days.

15344[/snapback]

Nice work. Unfortunately you cannot see so much good poly modeling work done with Houdini. I know the community is not so big, but however...

Did you do the entire model in Houdini?

15346[/snapback]

I made the entire model in Houdini and for my taste, the modeling toolset is pretty good in Houdini. Hopefully I'll soon find time to complete it or actually the current version has changed quite a bit, not so much visually, but from the SOP network point of view.

... Unfortunately you cannot see so much good poly modeling work done with Houdini. I know the community is not so big, but however...

15346[/snapback]

I don't think the size of the community matters so much here, it's more about who uses Houdini. The noisiest people are usually freelancers for good reasons: they want to show off their skills and they don't have a studio full of other artists to comment & critique on their work. And most importantly: If you work for a company you're usually not allowed to show any of your work.

I have the feeling that there are very very few Houdini freelancers compared to Maya'n ones & co. Possibly everyone who's good enough in Houdini gets snatched off the street and is tugged into a studio right away ;). What I'm aiming at: I have little doubts that users of this board have very nice Houdini work, but are simply not allowed to show it in public. Once when Maya was out of reach for freelancers and any capable Maya artist was in a studio there were very few galleries with artwork made in Maya. Same seems to apply for Houdini nowadays.

Jens

Hi Sascha,

Totally clueless on both. When I registered my domains somewhere around 1999 I intended to put something online... :huh: Never found the time for it, the constant lack of time (or lack of time menagement :blush:).

I know a few companies here in Berlin, but none is using Houdini though I hope one will use it soon ;). Besides I'm studying engeneering and CG is more an hobby of mine that is at times good for an extra coin or two :P I'm not the best person to comment on this.

Jens

What sort of Engineering?

15409[/snapback]

It's a hybrid type, they call it 'Information Technology and Systems Engeneering'. Basically it's a mix of classical mechanical engeneering with more math,computer technology and physics theory orientation and a fair focus control engeneering/cybernetics. From neural networks, biotechnology to fluid dynamics, thermodynamics up to robotics and production technology etc. it's all in there really.

Oh and in germany there are very few master / bachelor kinda couses of study, the classic diploma is similar to master, but it's all one thing (takes usually 5-6 years to complete + 2 more years for a doctor degree).

Hopefully you'll enjoy the aerospace studies, surely very intresting areas, though personally I'd recommend something that is a bit more general, unless you have a really good picture on what you want to do later, i.e. aerospace. As most engeneering type of studies begin similar, you'll have plenty of time to think about those things anyhow.

Jens

I only want to do Aerospace because it sounds like it will be a fun course (as i have said all over the place now (the internet as a whole) many times) to do. No idea what i'll be doing afterwards, hope to be an artist.

Sounds like an interesting mix, at least its got a lot of practical benfit (yes?) so you'll gain a lot of helpfull knowlage, probably be good for houdini!