Cached or Non-Cached FLIP VBD Collisions

gpapaioa

Its a commercial project so I cant but I will try some simple setup as soon as I got time. The behaviour is not very different, its a container filling up and when I use live data its a bit more "splashy" :)

Edited by gpapaioa

Got it. Its static geometry not deforming so I cached only one VDB file. So I should eg. cache the whole sequence even if its static, add a timeblend before vel calculation in order to have the data appearing on every substep. Correct me if I am wrong please. Thank you.

Got it. Its static geometry not deforming so I cached only one VDB file. So I should eg. cache the whole sequence even if its static, add a timeblend before vel calculation in order to have the data appearing on every substep. Correct me if I am wrong please. Thank you.

no, if it's static then one file is fine and there should be no difference in sim if the non-cached geometry and the cached geometry read from disk is the same, which you better doublecheck

for deforming geo you better cache with correct amount of substeps (File Cache SOP has that option)

because timeblend will not necessarily help you as you are possibly dealing with VDB volumes

hey Georgios, whats up buddy;

If you have a deforming object cache the whole sequence as mentioned before, it helps to cache with at least .5 increments, even if you think you wont need it. Unless the deforming object is ticked on static geometry node in DOPS , Houdini will only create a collision geo on creation frame and will never update it. So You dont have to cache the whole sequence, but you can still use the VDBs as proxy collision generator, as they tend to do a lot better and faster then SDF .

Hey man,

From what I have read on the forum, in order to have a container fill up with fluid you have to use Source Volume collision. Otherwise you have collision but the container wont fill up. Am I correct? Cause the H14 help file says that this method of collision is out-dated.