[SOLVED] Can OpenGL ROP Render Smoke Color?

Hi All,

I have a smoke sim that looks good in my viewport. I want to get a quick OpenGL render of it. However, when I use an OpenGL ROP to export the image sequence I see the progress dialog briefly appear at frame #1 then the dialog just diappears and I get no files on my disk. I don't get any error message either.

Can the OpenGL ROP even render smoke?

It seems like it should be able to because I can see it in the viewport?

Is there another way to issue a viewport render?

Edited by Atom

for one - yest it can - I tried the openGL rop in a scene with a pop sys, geo, and pyro, and it rendered them all

the bad thing is it does not replicate the "viewport look" precisely, like flipbook does - so it sees your smoke, but without lighting or color detail...just a plain gray smoke - if you can get it to work, please update - I need it as well...

One thing I did discover is that the OpenGL ROP can render with the Display Flag or the Render Flag. This means you can actually render out some of the various visualization styles. Still playing around with this though. The DOP Import also has some controls for mapping various fields/attributes using various styles such as smoke etc...

By exporting temperature and density as separate OpenGL render passes I can then composite them together for a better overall effect compared to just cranking the entire thing out as smoke from the OpenGL ROP. Here is the density attribute ADDED to the temperature attribute in After Effects.

post-12295-0-12905300-1440789590_thumb.p

ap_atom_logo_smoke_1b.hipnc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

cojoMan, I think I found a way to get color into smoke and still render it using the OpenGL rop.

Inside the pyro_import add a volume visualization node after the import_pyrofields. Move the display flag to the volume visualization node. With the visualization node selected switch to the  Emissions tab and set Emission Scale to 1, Emission Field to "temperature", Emission Color Field to "heat", for Mode choose preset Black Body.

This will cause the two attributes, heat and temperature to be mapped to the emissions channel.

Meanwhile, move to the out network and select the OpenGL rop. On the Scene tab choose Display Flag for the SOP source instead of the default Render Flag.

Because we setup the visualization node to map the attributes into a valid emission channel, the OpenGL rop can make use of that information and renders the color.

I have attached a demo file with the visualization node already setup.

post-12295-0-63605400-1447356186_thumb.j

ap_sphere_fireball.hipnc

• Like 1

you - are a genius !

yes, I guess it makes sense...the opengl takes care of volume display only, and doesn't now how to interpret the fields + we are only seeing them in the viewport as is BECAUSE of a vis op on the pyro object..but why that wouldn't be captured by the opengl directly since the flipbook gets them for free, and you'd have to reinvent the wheel like this....anyway - it works !

great job. :D