Smoke morph effect sustain density

gpapaioa

Hello,

I am doing a smoke morph effect and maganed to get similiar results with this by Lukas Lundberg

https://vimeo.com/83495918

using Attract Fluid.

My only problem left to solve is to make the smoke to sustain its density. Especially after some radical shape changes, much of the density field is going away due to dissipation. 

Lukas Lundberg says "Smoke is initial emitted from the first target shape then switched to emit from itself". Can someone give me a clue about this or any other way to keep the density field stable, even with lots of dissipation. 

Thank you. 

Edited by gpapaioa

What about something like this. It is essentially an animated GEO with the Billowy Smoke tool shelf applied. I turned off Max Bounds and increased the Dissipation rate and Turbulence. In this setup there is actually too much density, not sure how to tame that back.

ap_smoke_shape_series_1b.hipnc

Edited by Atom

Hello Atom. I am using the same setup with geometry switching but not for sourcing. Instead I am using it for the Attract Fluid force. Check this flipbook: smoke_morph1.mov

So what I am trying to achieve is to stop emmiting from geometry after the first object and "emmit from itself" as Lukas Lundberg is mentioning, to keep the density field sustained. 

Nice, your movie looks great.

"emmit from itself"

I read that quote as well and I interpreted that to mean that he simply turned off Activation in the Source Volume node after frame one. This did not work for me  as the smoke just dissipated away (NOTE: I did not try force fields to contain the dissipation as he mentioned). But what might work is if you time the activation to the same frame as the shape switch and then 'pulse' the volume with the presence of the new shape for a single frame by animating Activation from 0 to 1 for a single frame. The rest of the time, the smoke is just coasting and dissipating. I have scaled back temperature quite a bit and really cranked up Dissipation.

Here is my continued development for this effect with continuous activation.

ap_smoke_shape_series_1c.hipnc

Here is my continued development of this effect with keyframed Activation pulse timed to when the shapes change.

ap_smoke_shape_series_1d(ANIM_ACTIVATION).hipnc

Here is my continued development of this effect with keyframed Scale Source Volume. Leave Activation set to 1 and simply animated the scale from 0.0001 to 1.0 and then back down again synchronized with the shape changes. Try to avoid absolute 0.0.

ap_smoke_shape_series_1e(ANIM_SCALE_VOL).hipnc

I am not very good with smoke shaders yet. What shader are you using for your render and where do I apply the material?

post-12295-0-29727000-1441290564_thumb.j

Edited by Atom

I tried setting up a simple fluid morph but the shelf Tools are not working correctly. I have my object #1 as a fluid object. I click the Attract Fluid icon and choose the target of geo #2 and press ENTER. Then I am invited to select the fluid object and press ENTER. I do that and I choose Volume from the dialog that pops up and then I get an error message claiming that something is not right (a ramp parameter..?)

What is the trick to using the Attract Fluid tool?

post-12295-0-70754900-1441302914_thumb.j

Hey Guys,

This is a pretty neat effect, so I thought I'll give it a try as well.

I also think that the Gas Target Force, which is created by the Attract Fluid shelf tab is the way to go.

In order to keep the density from losing volume, I just kept the Dissipation value at a pretty low number on the Pyro Solver.

Here is my hip file and a quick low-res render if any of you guys are interested in my simple setup.

Cheers,

Laszlo

shapeShifting_smoke_rnd_v002.hip

shapeShifting_Smoke_RnD_v002.mov

• Like 2