Particles to velocity field

carlo_c

Hey all, just need a quick bit of help as I'm scratching my head wondering why this doesn't work!

I'm just learning some new techniques with particles and smoke sims, and I'm trying to use my particle velocity to drive some dust on the ground. I found this method here converting my particle sim to a VDB/velocity field which looks like it's exactly what I'm trying to do but I can't get it to work in my scene. Not sure if I'm going mad or just being a bit thick. 

My scene is attached and here is the scene I'm referencing: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/19322-use-particles-velocity-for-pyro/?p=116146

Thank you!  :)

heli_dust_test_08.hipnc

This is a nice example file. I located the Pop Advect By Volumes node in your original file and tried changing the Advection Type. This produces a nice looking particle system in the viewport but I am wondering how do your render it so it looks like dust blowing?

In the screenshot you can see the result of me applying a Billowy Smoke material to the top level circle. It is very voxliated.

post-12295-0-40024300-1442340725_thumb.p

Edited by Atom

Here's an example file Atom where I kind of think it's nearly there, with some tweaking it could produce the right look but the problem now is that the fluid emitter is always visible. I'm not sure if playing around with some of the settings upstream in the particle sim would solve that or if you'd just have to hide it under the ground for the render! 

heli_dust_test_11.hipnc

Edited by carlo_c
  • Like 1