PyroFx, or fumefx for a project?

mirHadi

... There are good and bad students in every field. i.e. I'm looking at the top maths students at the Art of Problem Solving forums and they kick butt. Lazy students are constantly scolded by other students.

.. and you'd better not to judge right?

Edited by haaranoos

eh?  I judge all the time, I have to as it's the only way to tailor the post in reply. 

It is only about knowing the tools and you and many others had the chance to grab on to that and ..

the thing is I don't know what is your problem here?

you are pro now?   .. so good for you!!

you can help ?!     that is exciting...! 

why do you wast the time to talk about nonsense instead of being more helpful and stop judging about what you have no single idea about it?

It is only about knowing the tools and you and many others had the chance to grab on to that and ..

the thing is I don't know what is your problem here?

you are pro now?   .. so good for you!!

you can help ?!     that is exciting...! 

why do you wast the time to talk about nonsense instead of being more helpful and stop judging about what you have no single idea about it?

Yes - I have two+ decades of work experience to back up my help. I collaborate with some of the hardest working people in the industry, and I bring that to the forums.

From $200+ mil A-grade to $2+ mil Indi productions is my target market. If you aim lower with your work, go for it, but I aim high. Your call.

Yes - I have two+ decades of work experience to back up my help. I collaborate with some of the hardest working people in the industry, and I bring that to the forums.

From $200+ mil A-grade to $2+ mil Indi productions is my target market. If you aim lower with your work, go for it, but I aim high. Your call.

you didn't get my point, did you?

now you think I have more respect for you .. for $200 mil and blah blah ?!!

It is about helping people and not insulting them ...that is what I'm talking about!

please be what you are meant to be...

a pro .. nice and helpful...

and teach others how they can be too...  

you didn't get my point, did you?

now you think I have more respect for you .. for $200 mil and blah blah ?!!

It is about helping people and not insulting them ...that is what I'm talking about!

please be what you are meant to be...

a pro .. nice and helpful...

and teach others how they can be too...  

Right - so I've help you specially in this post, in your outline shader post, in your geometry spreadsheet post - you've helped me exactly 0 times. That makes the contest 3 to 0. Now whom doesn't get the point?

and yes sorry.. you won...

well .. you'r pro "the hero" not me!!

that is how it works right?  :blush:

You're simply confusing my credentials and aspirations with a supposed superior position you've ascribed me.  I help all people, but you'll be happy to know the type of postings you've just made is pretty common on the forums across the world. Other forums have bans and locks.  Here's one from the Physics forum today. https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-problem-that-riddles-any-radical-thinker-wth-is-energy.837640/

Edit: QED :P

Edited by tar

Back to the rendering, the very first thing you want to do is crank up the stochastic transparency samples to reduce the noise in the smoke. Values of even 64 have little overhead to the base render. I would NOT turn off stochastic sampling when rendering with PBR. Increase the stochastic transparency samples until the "salt and pepper" look is reduced greatly. Then increase the pixel samples to do the actual shading.

The defaults from the shelf are very low quality.

Stochastic sampling is used to calculate opacity and is done prior to shading. This step gathers the microvoxels under the current pixel to actually shade against and is a cheap way to optimize volumetric rendering.

Mantra can evaluate partial shader paths. For Stochastic transparency samples, only the shader determining Of is calculated and not shading.

Hope this helps.

• Like 4

Stochastic sampling is used to calculate opacity and is done prior to shading. This step gathers the microvoxels under the current pixel to actually shade against and is a cheap way to optimize volumetric rendering.

Mantra can evaluate partial shader paths. For Stochastic transparency samples, only the shader determining Of is calculated and not shading.

how does it compute the color then?

I thought stochastic transparency compute shading per each random sample

so that would mean 64 stochastic samples would do 16 times more shading evaluations than 4 samples

if you are saying they are used just to compute opacity, how does it sample the color if not per each stochastic sample?

even the image in help for stochastic sampling suggest that the lighting is evaluated per each stochastic sample

The reason I was turning off stochastic transparency is that I've found there is always some noise present and impossible to get rid of regardless of how high the samples are set at.  Maybe for most cases this doesn't matter, but if your trying to get rid of all noise it is troublesome.

To try to shed some more light on stochastic sampling:

It's my understanding that the stochastic transparency setting is ignored when micropoly is enabled, as this type of sampling can't be implemented in this type of render engine.

Some more details about stochastic sampling can be found in the H12 rendering masterclass towards the end of the video.  The shader optimizations are discussed in detail there as well.

EDIT: here is the video

Edited by jkunz07

at its heart, stochastic transparency is simply a means to artificially cull rays (by having them hit fully opaque samples) loosely related to screen door transparency.  i don't see how more samples wouldn't generate a proportional increase in shading calls and thus longer times.  i would expect the shading work to be the majority of time rendering volumes.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to do more tests in volume rendering because It is important to me to render this kind of effects efficiently.

I tested fairly good amount of combinations ... 

"L quality" image: 

pixel sample : 3 X 3

stockastic samples : 50

render time: 0:41

"H quality" image:

pixel sample : 12 X 12

render time : 6:51

"Arnold quality" image:

default settings.

render time : 0:40  

and very good quality.

I like mantra ( very cool materials like principled shader.. and layering stuff!)

It handles displacements very very efficient. 

but in volume rendering seems like It is a bit slow .. or at least I can't get much out of it! 

post-14243-0-76231900-1446924086_thumb.j

post-14243-0-20451500-1446924163_thumb.j

post-14243-0-62351200-1446924185_thumb.j

Hope this helps.

are you kiding ? your posts always help .

i wish you ( / someone near to you / or even a web-bot ..  ) could collect every post you have made on both houdini forums ..

.. and make a book out of those . seriously .

in my personal experience with this thread ;

- i entered to read a thread judging from its title

- i was about to leave it when the Battle Of Million$ and Hunger to Learn started the simulation ..

- then .. Bip!! .. you posted your usual paragraphs ..

my brain postproccesing :

- i could have lost this , ..

- your paragraphs are always like many have described .. " Gems " .

- im not sure how many others i have left unRead ..

Jeff , does it sound nice as a book title " the Usual Paragraphs " ?

.. Old_School : the Usual Paragraphs

book structure :

> the issue :

> post_1: the paragraphs

> post_n: the paragraphs

!! please no pictures  =) .. tech-terms and some num-values should be enough for houdini users .

thats my wish ! seriously .

! thank you and cheers

p.s.: i would gladly contribute for free by making some book covers with Hou ..