L System Tree Questions

7ofDiamonds

Hey guys!

I'm fairly new to L-systems in general. What I'm trying to do is some sort of "growth" by keyframing the "Generations" parameter in the lsystem SOP. 

However, I'm getting a stepped animation, where it starts, stops, then starts again onto the next level. How can I make this a smooth transition?

My next question is, how can I fix the weird overlapping/twisting issues with the joints when I use tube? I tried using the PolyWire SOP, but I do lose the thickness and scale attribute that I could obtain from the Tube settings.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

lsystem.hipnc

Hey Kev, you'll have to learn a bit more about lsystems to remove that slight pause.

The growth is smooth because you have "Continuous Length" checked and you have a fractional animation in "Generations". The rules of your lsystem are causing a slight delay in the growth. If you click on the little settings gear icon on the upper right of the lsystem node, there is a drop down of numerous presets. Try the "Gnarly Tree" and slide the generations up and down, fractionally. Smooth! Maybe there is a preset that works for you until you learn more about how to program the rules of the lsystem?

The jumping you can't stop, because that is an integer increment. You can always convert polygons to VDB then convert back to polygons to generate a new mesh that will not have overlaps.

Great point on the VDB convert! Will try that!

Hey Kev, you'll have to learn a bit more about lsystems to remove that slight pause.

The growth is smooth because you have "Continuous Length" checked and you have a fractional animation in "Generations". The rules of your lsystem are causing a slight delay in the growth. If you click on the little settings gear icon on the upper right of the lsystem node, there is a drop down of numerous presets. Try the "Gnarly Tree" and slide the generations up and down, fractionally. Smooth! Maybe there is a preset that works for you until you learn more about how to program the rules of the lsystem?

Fantastic! The Gnarly Tree is exactly what I needed. Yea, this is definitely something I needed on the fly, but will get into learning the system more deeply. I'm looking at the L-system tutorials on CMIVFX and they seem pretty solid. Thank you!