Polygons as subdivision (Mantra) - any way of adding quality/substeps

hey,

please see the attached image. i have enabled the option "Render Polygons as Subdivision (Mantra)" in the geometry node, under the "Render" tab. as you can notice, this is producing bad geometry.

the help files state the following: Render polygons as a subdivision surface: The creaseweight attribute is used to perform linear creasing. This attribute may appear on points, vertices or primitives.

i know that you can set/override the creaseweight attribute when using a subdivide sop, but how can i do this when using the mantra-subdivision mentioned in the title?

can i simply create an attribute called creaseweight and set it to 1? or is there a way of adding further substeps, e.g. in the mantra rop?

sorry for the ignorant question.

thank you!

post-12217-0-83037300-1449069690_thumb.j

you can select your edges (add group SOP with Edges Tab, which selecting only corner edges) and crease SOP, and it work fine

awesome, thank you! i am having trouble grouping edges after dopimport (as this is a sim), and even when exporting the current frame as bgeo.sc and importing it back, and then trying to group. however, i just realized that i am using rbd packed prims, which offers an option to cusp edges. rendering right now to see how it works. thanks again!

so, because i was simming with packed prims, i saved a single frame to alembic, brought it back, and did then the group edges -> crease procedure.

i have now set the creaseweight attr. to 1, 10 and even 25, getting no proper result.

you can still see the weird geometry on the right cheek.

any ideas?

post-12217-0-30517800-1449225897_thumb.j

Edited by crozer

Just to check, but you are unpacking it before adding the crease weight right?

Perhaps it would be a better to do the crease weight before you pack the geometry and send it to dops. This would save the unpacking and be a bit more efficient.

Just to check, but you are unpacking it before adding the crease weight right?

Perhaps it would be a better to do the crease weight before you pack the geometry and send it to dops. This would save the unpacking and be a bit more efficient.

i wasn't. actually, simply unpacking and then subdividing did the trick. thank you!

Edited by crozer