Rounding Straight Lines?

Atom

Hi All,

I am trying to make a rounded plexus style effect. I have the basic nodes in place but I can not figure out a couple of things.

1.) How do I delete the points that are not connected?

post-12295-0-68508700-1449630473_thumb.j

2.) How do I make my straight lines into arc line curved lines as shown here in this image? I have a convert polygon to bezier but that seems to have no effect?

post-12295-0-87037900-1449630481_thumb.j

NOTE: I did review Mike's setup on this topic and while it does work in the viewport, it will not render without crashing or hanging up Mantra H15.0.313 (on my machine). I get about 13 frames and then it is dead. I need to render several hundred frames of this animation style.

ap_plexus_attempt_1a.hipnc

Edited by Atom

haven't looked at the rendering problem, but the curved lines and orphan points i could do. :)

-a clean sop has the option to remove unused points

-because you've converted to bezier curves with 0.5 divisions, you already have a point at the midpoint of each line, you just need a way to get to it. a uvtexture sop in 'rows and columns' mode will give you a ucoordinate you can use, then in a wrangle you just move the points that have uv[0] == 0.5.

needed a mild rearrange to make sure the orphan points were removed before the convert, and before the copy sop, otherise you'd get spheres copied onto the midpoints of each line, which i assume you don't want.

ap_plexus_attempt_1b.hipnc

Thanks Matt, that did the trick. I didn't realize you could feed a rand() function a vector seed and get a vector returned. 

One other thing I have been trying to do is to modulate the entire structure over time. I thought I could simply put a Mountain right after the sphere and animate the offset. But this causes a frenetic pulsing in the lines (both yours and my version). Anytime I try to deform the source geo before the lines they pulse that way. If I put the Mountain at the end I only modulate the lines and the spheres disconnect.

Any ideas for modulation?