vertex weighting tutorials?

Gurbo

I've been learning Houdini and going through the video files at the Sydney Visilab site. I really enjoy the modelling and rigging however my knowledge of capturing weights and then editing them is a little scant. Valerie mentions it in the character overview video briefly. The VTMs at 3DBuzz.com don't go into skinning. Can anyone please point out a tutorial site or simply list what to do in point form? Tar.

Stephen Gurban

Have you learned how to capture the skin using the bones yet? In anycase, you might want to check out the "Capturing a Simple Arm" tutorial in Houdini's help. It's under Learning Houdini > Character Animation > Capturing Geometry > Capturing a Simple Arm.

After that, first expand the "operation controls" toolbar in that small horizontal line button right above the viewport. You absolutely need that expanded to do any character work.

With your mouse in the object viewer, hit Tab > Character. Now you can choose any of the "... Capture ..." items in there. If you're coming from other packages, the "Paint Capture Layer" tool will be the most familiar tool. However, I recommend doing a first pass using "Edit Capture Regions" to get the gross capturing correct first.

There's actually more help once you enter any of those capture tools. If you look in the "operation controls" toolbar, there should be question mark icon button that you can get for more help on each of those tools.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Edward,

Thanks very much for the mini tutorial! I have seen the 'capturing a simple arm' video from sidefx and it was a big help.

I'm currently working throught the Buzz VTMs at the moment and this procedural business is blowing my mind. Unfortunately he doesn't touch on skinning. However, my concern is for all those high crease areas like the crotch and armpit. I've edited the capture region with the 'capsule' handles but not tweaked individual points. Buzz did point out a Geometry spreadsheet so I'll go check in there..

I noticed that Valerie gets around the elbow issue by having a little elbow bone. In other packages I was lead to believe that I shouldn't have an IK chain longer than 2 bones.

Stephen

before you head into the spreadsheet look into the painting options....CapturePaint and CaptureLayerPaint

I've wanted to do a tutorial on capturing geometry for a while (since it's something I can actually speak with some authority on :P ) but time isn't on my side at the moment...

you should be able to get 80% of the way there just with capture and captureproximity and using the capture regions ... then the rest by painting weights...