LOD

DaJuice

Hey folks,

I was reading up on Level-of-Detail today, and started playing with PolyReduce. I'd like to know how long a frame of this scene takes to cook on your machines, and what kind of processors they have. It takes about 4 seconds on my computer (800mhz P3). If you got any ideas for speeding it up I'd love to hear them. :) I'm still experimenting myself.

http://www.geocities.com/stehrani3d/3dfiles/LOD_terrain.zip (50kb, Right Click > Save)

LOD.jpg

About 4 seconds as well on a single P4 1.6 GHz on 384 Mb of RAM (which clearly isn't the issue as houdini.exe only uses 113 Mb right now in the task manager.)

I was going to suggest that if you want the first cook in the hip file to be faster, you can try setting the Threading parameter on the VEX SOPs to use 1 per processor if you have more than one processor. In my mind, we don't really care about that though as any other subsequent cooks will be mostly the polyreduce sops anyhow.

Thanks guys.

you can try setting the Threading parameter on the VEX SOPs to use 1 per processor if you have more than one processor.

Ahh, it is actually a dual processor machine. Hmm, I just noticed that when you use either '1 Thread per Processor' or '2 Threads' it automatically gives your model normals.

• 2 years later...