Ocean Evaluate Mask

Is there any way how I can mask out Ocean Evaluate Node`s influence in certain areas?

I`m applying it to my flip fluid mesh and foam particles, but as you can see in this image, where the wave goes lower foam is coming from the geometry, which is something that i don`t want.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

post-15534-0-61318200-1455911382_thumb.j

The usual way is to handle the displacement yourself using the "restdisplace" output of OceanEvaluate.  So don't feed your geometry into the OceanEvaluate, only leave the spectrum connected to the second input.  Then on the volumes tab enable Rest Displacement.  That will output three 2d volumes containing the displacement vectors.

Finally use an AttribWrangle to do the displacement. Plug your geometry to be deformed into the first input and the OceanEvaluate into the second.  The displacement is a one-liner:

@P += volumesamplev(1, "restdisplace", @P);

In that code you can scale the amount of displacement however you like.

Edited by johner
  • Like 1

The usual way is to handle the displacement yourself using the "restdisplace" output of OceanEvaluate.  So don't feed your geometry into the OceanEvaluate, only leave the spectrum connected to the second input.  Then on the volumes tab enable Rest Displacement.  That will output three 2d volumes containing the displacement vectors.

Finally use an AttribWrangle to do the displacement. Plug your geometry to be deformed into the first input and the OceanEvaluate into the second.  The displacement is a one-liner:

@P += volumesamplev(1, "restdisplace", @P);

In that code you can scale the amount of displacement however you like.

Thank you for the reply!

I did all those steps that you wrote.

But I have a question, how to gradually change displacement in certain areas now ?

If I could change it for this area for 1-2 sec. that would be perfect.

I`m quite new to Houdini, this is my first serious project in Houdini, been working on it more than month already.

temple2.jpg

you can output velocity volume out of ocean spectrum and then use a gradient ramp inside volume vop to control the areas where you want those velocities

Thank you for the reply!!!

So as I understand set up should be like that.

332p8xu.jpg

28luaty.jpg

But how do I set up everything in Volume VOP?

Edited by cudarsjanis

i don´t know if this will be helpful, but i did something sort of similar (not exactly) for a short film where i wanted to have my ocean surface with different calm areas next to windy/displaced areas (as you often can see in nature). very straightforward to setup:

http://insekt8.de/I/houdini-custom-multi-resolution-surface/

hope this helps

fuat

i don´t know if this will be helpful, but i did something sort of similar (not exactly) for a short film where i wanted to have my ocean surface with different calm areas next to windy/displaced areas (as you often can see in nature). very straightforward to setup:

http://insekt8.de/I/houdini-custom-multi-resolution-surface/

hope this helps

fuat

looks good. It is something similar what I want to achieve.

So what was the setup for your project?

In the link there`s only screenshots of mesh, not nodes.

Janis 

Edited by cudarsjanis

the main idea is:  two oceanspectrums with different resolution exponents. 

so basically, you have one stream of Grid&Oceanspectrum into OceanEvaluate. Duplicate these 3 nodes. 
Now, change the resolution exponent of the Oceanspectrum copy.

Plug the both OceanEvaluates into a VOP.

inside vops, import P of second input. 

now mix both P´s as you wish (by color or noise or whatever attrib you want)

that´s basically it. 

Fuat

looks good. It is something similar what I want to achieve.

So what was the setup for your project?

In the link there`s only screenshots of mesh, not nodes.

Janis 

i thought you wanted to modify vel field inorder to do a flip sim, if you just want surface to be rendered just mix the positions of two spectrums inside a pointvop and play with the bias.

the main idea is:  two oceanspectrums with different resolution exponents. 

so basically, you have one stream of Grid&Oceanspectrum into OceanEvaluate. Duplicate these 3 nodes. 

Now, change the resolution exponent of the Oceanspectrum copy.

Plug the both OceanEvaluates into a VOP.

inside vops, import P of second input. 

now mix both P´s as you wish (by color or noise or whatever attrib you want)

that´s basically it. 

Fuat

i thought you wanted to modify vel field inorder to do a flip sim, if you just want surface to be rendered just mix the positions of two spectrums inside a pointvop and play with the bias.

I ended up just using SoftTransform SOP on points in that area, as I'm not that good in VOPs yet.

But thanks for all the suggestions!

Really appreciate.