Bubble bath in Houdini?

Hey everyone,

I've been working in Houdini for some months now but I'm still not as fluent as I'd like to be. Mainly I've been working with different types of fluid behaviors, RBD, shattering with voronoi, etc. For the last month I've been learning VEX and VOPS. Although I don't know how I should approach this project. I need to create a bubble bath effect which interacts with a character for proof of concept. I was thinking of creating a filler object inside the tub, use it to scatter points, copy spheres and randomize the size, then create a POP network to play with the motion of the bubbles. This method just seems way to simple for the complexity that is Houdini haha, I'm also not sure if it would work. I attached some pics of what I'm looking for, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

post-15230-0-76724200-1457556082_thumb.j

post-15230-0-41033200-1457556083_thumb.j

post-15230-0-03947400-1457556085_thumb.j

post-15230-0-50532000-1457556086_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

I would do it as you described. You'll probably need an attribinterpolate sop to make the points from the scatter stick to an animated surface. I would play around with using an ocean surface for the basic shape. And to interact with the character you will probably need to create an attribute transfer setup so some kind of bounding object changes bubble behavior in a region.

Hey everyone,

I've been working in Houdini for some months now but I'm still not as fluent as I'd like to be. Mainly I've been working with different types of fluid behaviors, RBD, shattering with voronoi, etc. For the last month I've been learning VEX and VOPS. Although I don't know how I should approach this project. I need to create a bubble bath effect which interacts with a character for proof of concept. I was thinking of creating a filler object inside the tub, use it to scatter points, copy spheres and randomize the size, then create a POP network to play with the motion of the bubbles. This method just seems way to simple for the complexity that is Houdini haha, I'm also not sure if it would work. I attached some pics of what I'm looking for, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Did you find any solution to this? any help would be appreciated.

Did you find any solution to this? any help would be appreciated.

This is the result I was able to get after playing around for a bit.

I have two particle systems, one for the foam and one for the actual bubbles. 

For the foam I took the interior of the bathtub and got the shape I wanted through a mountain SOP with animation on the offset. I then turned that into a volume to spawn points in a POP SOP and got the basic movement I wanted. After that I used a point cloud method to drive velocity through a POP VOP (which I got help from in this thread , http://forums.odforce.net/topic/9483-viscosity-and-elasticity-in-pops/).Finally I created pScale in an attribute VOP by running age and life through a fit range and meshed out the results.

For the bubbles I used the meshed foam to spawn points on the surface and used an sdf collision POP VOP so the points slide along the surface (again getting help from the same thread as before). Once I got the motion I liked I created another pScale attribute in VOPS and copied spheres onto the points. This way you can control how big the bubbles get by the time they die.

I'm still working on this project to get better results, and also to see if there's a better method in going about creating this.

I would probably still be stuck if it weren't for Spencer Lueders and Peter Claes in the other forum that I mentioned.

If you still need help here is the hip file : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wdqqhkmngdfnb1e/AACjnRmDbyYjqHnb1jIDpUORa?dl=0

Wasn't able to include cache files because of storage space.

Edited by goertzFX
  • Like 1

It seems like a good candidate for an underlying Grains:Solid simulation. It might get you good distribution and decent animation, especially if you figure a way to rebuild broken constraints for lumps of bubbles which break off and rejoin.