polyExtrude Unfamiliar options

Arthur Spooner

How do I add an input curve to the polyExtrude which is outside of the current context ?

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, from my understanding of the splitGroup option within the polyExtrude is suppose to add edge splits to the selected geometry ? I have the option toggled on in the polyExtrude node, along with a group selected but I don't see any edge splits ? 

Local attributes, all the manual states is, for example, for distance scale is; Multiply the extrusion distance by the value of this attribute ?

15 hours ago, Arthur Spooner said:

How do I add an input curve to the polyExtrude which is outside of the current context ?

use a OBJECT MERGE node, and point it to the geo you want (the curve).

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong, from my understanding of the splitGroup option within the polyExtrude is suppose to add edge splits to the selected geometry ? I have the option toggled on in the polyExtrude node, along with a group selected but I don't see any edge splits ? 

splitGroup won't perform a polygonal split on your geo. It is in case you have groups in the selection you are extruding, and you want to separate your extrusion according to your groups. see attached hip file

Local attributes, all the manual states is, for example, for distance scale is; Multiply the extrusion distance by the value of this attribute ?

Well, the help sums it up... But to easily understand it, you need to be familiar with the concept of "Attributes".

For this instance, (distance scale), it will use an attribute of your choosing as a multiplier for the extrusion distance : let's say you choose the attribute of position on the Y axis, the the higher a point will be, the more it will be extruded (bigger distance)

polyex_Od-forum.hipnc

use a OBJECT MERGE node, and point it to the geo you want (the curve).

../

Sets allows me to go outside the current node ?

splitGroup won't perform a polygonal split on your geo. It is in case you have groups in the selection you are extruding, and you want to separate your extrusion according to your groups. see attached hip file

In other words, specific groups get extruded or vise versa, just as long as you input a group ? :) How do you actually split a group or an entire piece of geometry, as in, adding an edge loop ?

Well, the help sums it up... But to easily understand it, you need to be familiar with the concept of "Attributes".

For this instance, (distance scale), it will use an attribute of your choosing as a multiplier for the extrusion distance : let's say you choose the attribute of position on the Y axis, the the higher a point will be, the more it will be extruded (bigger distance)

I could give the distance scale an attribute to change the color (Cd) of the extruded faces based on the Y axis, for example, correct; and these are VEX attributes or another type ?

Edited by Arthur Spooner

to add an edgeloop, use the polysplit node, easiest way is with the shelf tool :  polygon tab -> edgeloop.

for the splitgroup feature of the polyextrude node, have a look at the hip file I posted in my previous post.

for the distance scale, and other local attributes, in the polyextrude, you won't be able to affect the color, only distance, inset, twist and divisions. It doesn't work like you wrote it. You are not using distance to affect something else, you are using something else to affect(multiply) distance. Let's say you create an attribute before the polyextrude node, an attribute let's call it m, at the primitive level (not a per point attribute) some primitives (faces) have a value of 1, some 2 an some 0. The polyextrude can use this value to multipy it by the distance of extrusion, so if you set a distance of 2, faces with m=1 will extrude with a distance of 2, faces with m=2 a distance of 4 and faces with m=0 won't be extruded (0*2=0)

and yes, ../ brings you up one level.

Edited by 6ril
typo