RBD fracture object in deforming / animated geometry

tushar v1

Hello gurus, 

Well I am facing a problem in Houdini which  is simulating Fracturing on deforming geometry. I am making a car crash in which after certain in which the car is tumbling and rolling which is manually animated,  started to Fracture after a given a frame. Windshields explodes, that the glass pieces exist in the scene for just 5 frames, may be because of the velocity it is inheriting. How can I fix this problem? 

You could just throw in an Attribute or PopWrangle and set the velocity to zero to see what that gets you. Remember, wrangles can target groups so if you don't have the windshield in a group place it in a group and have the wrangle affect only that group.

@v = 0;
	// Or just scale it down a bit.
	@v *= 0.5;

Edited by Atom

On 8/16/2016 at 10:13 PM, Atom said:

You could just throw in an Attribute or PopWrangle and set the velocity to zero to see what that gets you. Remember, wrangles can target groups so if you don't have the windshield in a group place it in a group and have the wrangle affect only that group.

@v = 0;
	// Or just scale it down a bit.
	@v *= 0.5;

Hiii Atom, 

can you please help me in that what you mentioned above as i am unable to do what you said 

Edited by tushar v1

After looking at your file I think the problem might be in the rbdkeyactive node. According to the help there are two ways to use it. One, make it track an object or Two, keyframe it directly in the rdbkeyactive node. You have left both options blank. All you are doing is simply turning it on at which point it thinks it was at world origin which is far from the location in the Alembic file thus producing great velocity all in one frame.

Take a look at the help card for that node and the example files at the bottom of the help page. You may only need to specify the OBJ path to your moving car. I have not actually used this node in a scene, however.

Edited by Atom