Custom Testure Shader

Hi all

I've made a shader using VOPS which is just a simple standard shader with options for Texture, Bump, Spec map etc

I see that I have to reference the 'map' channel in OpenGL section in order for it to show up in my 3D viewport...

...however - how do i set it up so it does this automatically every time, so I dont have to constantly go to the OpenGL section and select the referenced channel each time?

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Cheers

J :ph34r:

Hey there,

If you name your texture parameter "map" then the reference will be created automatically every time.

Hope this helps,

Jason

17745[/snapback]

Hey Jason

Thanks, I thought that would be the case - however what if ive got two texture maps with a blending option.

If I call Texture A 'map' what do I call Texture B - so that when I adjust the blending that will also show up in 3D view?

Cheers

J

:blink:

I believe it's map2 and so on. Not too sure though..

17748[/snapback]

thanks again Jason - unfortunately thats not working for me

My Texture Map A is named 'map'

ive tried naming Texture Map B 'map', 'map1' , 'map2', but to no avail.

Im a bit unsure what I have to do to get the two textures to show up blended in the openGL of a textured object. Is it possible?

It shows them blended fine in the openGL viewer when I mix them at Shop level, just not at SOP or OBJ level. :huh:

I must be doing something wrong somewhere.

Cheers

J

To be honest, I've never really done this in a generic way myself. I could also take a look at it but someone who has actually done this - or someone from SESI could answer this better than I can right now. I like to know the answer too:)

To be honest, I've never really done this in a generic way myself. I could also take a look at it but someone who has actually done this - or someone from SESI could answer this better than I can right now. I like to know the answer too:)

17756[/snapback]

I appreciate your help anyway Jason - im totally new to this - first year of Houdini doing my masters at Bournemouth.

Hopefully can get the answer there tomorrow, if so ill post up :D

Cheers

J

In that case, it should be easy to compare the source code between the VEX Layered Surface SHOP and your own, no?

17761[/snapback]

Thanks ed..

unfortunately, Vex Layered seems to be, as I would have expected, named 'map_base' 'map2' 'map3' ... and so on. Ive tried this as a naming convention with mine but it doesnt work after doing this. I can see it blend in SHOP level but not at SOP or OBJ.

J :(

It doesn't look to me like the opengl options support actually blending the maps together only displaying more than one at the same time on different bits of geometry. I would say that you either have to use VEX shaded mode or create two grids in the same place and use the alpha option to make the one in front slightly transparent.

Or better yet why not setup the blend in cops and then reference that into your map parameter, using the op syntax eg

op:/img/yourcopnet/blend

It doesn't look to me like the opengl options support actually blending the maps together only displaying more than one at the same time on different bits of geometry. I would say that you either have to use VEX shaded mode or create two grids in the same place and use the alpha option to make the one in front slightly transparent.

Or better yet why not setup the blend in cops and then reference that into your map parameter, using the op syntax eg

op:/img/yourcopnet/blend

17769[/snapback]

Don't forget that you can turn on Multi-texturing in the Viewport Display Options ("d" in the viewport, last tab)

By construction of the VEX Layered Surface SHOP, is uses uv for map, uv2 for map2, uv3 for map3, etc. So if you want to use the same uv attributes for map2, you need to make a copy of it. Perhaps this is Johnny's problem? He has a shader which uses uv for both map and map2 but the OpenGL viewer expects to use uv2 for map2 which doesn't exist?

By construction of the VEX Layered Surface SHOP, is uses uv for map, uv2 for map2, uv3 for map3, etc. So if you want to use the same uv attributes for map2, you need to make a copy of it. Perhaps this is Johnny's problem? He has a shader which uses uv for both map and map2 but the OpenGL viewer expects to use uv2 for map2 which doesn't exist?

17784[/snapback]

Hey guys

Yeah i definitely get blended textures with the Vex Layered showing up fine....so yes Ed, I think this might be it - would make sense!

- ill have a check as soon as I get back to see if this is the case. - will update in a bit - thanks :D:ph34r: