attach objects to particles????

icedeyes

Well, if you just want to render objects at the particle positions, then just add an Instance POP specifying the geometry you want to instance. This will give you previewing abilities as long as you have guide geometry turned on.

To render out your instanced particles, create a new object that contains a Pop SOP referencing your popnet. After that, turn on the "Point Instancing" option in the Render tab of your simulation object. Don't worry about changing the "Point Geometry" option as that only takes effect if your pop geometry doesn't have the instance attribute. (The Instance POP automatically creates the instance attribute for you.)

dante

thanks a lot dante.. This was what i was looking for.... By the way, is there a way to give rotational and positional diferrencies per particle??? Not with the force but with interaction on particle level to create something like a small ai solution.... thanks in advance...

Not quite sure, icedeyes. I haven't used pops all that much.

Try looking under the "Attributes" sub-menu when you hit the Tab key. There's POPs for manually controlling Angular Velocity, etc. As with SOPS, you can also create custom attributes in POPs. So if they don't have an attribute you need, you can always create your own.

There's someone here who's making an interactive system in houdini what let's you move a vehicle around in chops. I think his user id is tuangD or something like that. You might want to look at his hip file. This might give you some ideas.

have fun,

dante

Acutally, there are several ways to give rotational differences per particle.

*) Use the Rotation POP, and you can add say random rotation per particle using an expression based on "rand($ID) * 90" (for a 90 degree spread) and so on. Remeber to change the seed for every component (rx, ry and rz) or you'll genenerate the same random number for each component.

*) Use the Torque POP (to add the "w" attribute) and and mess with the AngVelocity POP in the same way.

*) If you are using the Copy SOP to stamp geometry onto particles, learn how to use the "stamping" feature of the CopySOP (very *very* powerful) and you can modify ANYTHING per particle.

Good luck,

Jason

Because i am working on something else right now for my job I will get on it later.... Thanks for all your suggestions guys.... One last thing... I have a problem using the VEX to control particle color... Because i want to give the particles a spark figure is there a node to connect to the opacity of the material that lets you use an image to control the opacity... Basically I am after the clip map if any of you know it by this name... Thanks in advance once again and excuse me both for my english and my stupid questions...