Moving fracture with UV

bzukido

Hello Guys, 

I am playing around with houdini on an extreme beginner level. Nevertheless I made this setup where I have moving fracture pieces over the surface.

My question is. Is it possible to make texture stick to those pieces so not only pieces but also the texture flows and distorts itself over time? I so much would love to see that happen but my knowledge is not so deep to understand how could I achieve that. Especially because I assume that its not case of regural fracturing and geometry is different with every frame.

I am using standard voronoi fracture node with points scattered into volume and I am making them move with vdbadvectpoints inside of a solver node.

Do you think its possible to achieve the texture to stick to the pieces?

On 31. 10. 2016 at 6:35 AM, Shinjipierre said:

It seems that the voronoi is recreated at every frame, meaning that a rest position would not help.

I tried something but it doesn't seem to quite work, 'cause of the changing point count.

uv_flow_v001.hipnc

Hey thats pretty good. I guess there is no way to prevent change of points cound because the nature of voronoi fracture node and how individual pieces are created, right?

When you animate the points coming into the fracture node, which you have in this case, then the fracture node will cook every frame. This is quite expensive. Typical usage is to fracture with a non-animated fixed point count, then proceed to modify the result after the Voronoi Fracture.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atom said:

When you animate the points coming into the fracture node, which you have in this case, then the fracture node will cook every frame. This is quite expensive. Typical usage is to fracture with a non-animated fixed point count, then proceed to modify the result after the Voronoi Fracture.

Would then be possible to achieve similar result after object is fractured? I guess I can just move the points again using noise but how do I prevent them to make some unwanted crazy polygons.

Hi, here's my take on it.. it involved getting uv centroids for the fracture points, and using those to offset the uvs after fracturing. Although I'm not sure how well it will work for other types of geometry setups aside from boxes. :D

locked_fracture_uvs.gif

Houdini Indie 15.5.607

locked_fracture_uvs.hiplc

Edited by galagast
added houdini version used
  • Like 2

On 1. 11. 2016 at 0:15 PM, Atom said:

sorry I messed this reply

Edited by bzukido
messed it up

On 1. 11. 2016 at 2:01 PM, galagast said:

Hi, here's my take on it.. it involved getting uv centroids for the fracture points, and using those to offset the uvs after fracturing. Although I'm not sure how well it will work for other types of geometry setups aside from boxes. :D

locked_fracture_uvs.gif

Houdini Indie 15.5.607

locked_fracture_uvs.hiplc

this approach is really good. Only thing is ... when you take a look at my setup above. I am driving chunks in a different way so they are kind of rotating around whether with your setup they are pretty much all the time at the same position. thats fine. but they will always keep its rotation. Is there theoretically a way how to also transfer information about rotation? Perhaps to calculate it from position of corners?

I think got something working.

locked_fracture_uvs_v2.gif

Some pieces would seem to suddenly spin quickly, that is mainly due to animated points making a very sharp turn. I might be able to fix those by adding a spin limit of sorts.

I also adjusted my initial setup, and simplified it a bit more.

Houdini Indie 15.5.607

locked_fracture_uvs_v2.hiplc

• Like 2