How can I do to reduce render time in growth animation using polywire

Hi guys,

I'm now working on a work kind of growth animation.. and I've faced a problem that it takes tooooo long time when render or even import, since what I want to make is the extremely dense object wrapped with polywire like second image or even more than.

In my setup, I made particle trails and applied them to polywire to make mesh. As you know, like the attached image, the denser(the higher frame like a second image), the more expensive for render. Actually, I rendered the half of my scenes barely, but after them, the primitive will be dense in earnest. To solve, I reduced polywire's Divisions and Segments but too many primitive causes expensive render time after all. Then what I was thinking after is to use the concept of Fur such as fur density using texture map. ? :wacko:, but I couldn't get the clear idea from that, It might be too challenging for me. Or remove polywire out of camera view or at the back of it from that? Or using hair shader? but in this case, it's too late for me... How can I solve this matter with this setup using polywire to reduce render time? 

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. 

Due to attached error, add google drive link with images and a simple hip file.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B2PqEaLsEVgWZlBZVGJoc29GYms

Thanks, 

Lee

Edited by aesthete

You could replace the polywire node with an attribute wrangle and just set the @width attribute. Mantra will pickup on the @width attribute and render the curves as flat ribbons instead. This will reduce the number of primitives flowing into Mantra and you may get a faster render.

// Try various float values to adjust the size.
f@width = 0.1;

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

Just of curiosity, why do you have a SOP solver merging previous frame with the current frame for your point trails, instead of just using a Trail SOP? :-)

It's because using a Solver SOP instead of a Trail SOP gives me the result what I want. Yeah, as you said, there might be no difference of those things to do in the hip file, but what I wanted is a dense object which is filled with wires to capacity from inner space, so I emitted particles on inner space. Trail SOP could show me the almost same result when increasing Trail Length(when this value is lower, lines seem to move on their direction so the inner space does not look dense), but it's slightly slower than using Solver SOP in my test. However I'm sure that there is better and smarter way to get the result using Trail SOP or other nodes.

Appreciate for your reply Atom, Really helpful.

Replacing with @width can make a faster render, but in that case, It looks slightly different from the polywires I rendered former scenes(I mean, not attached images.) 'cause the curves are flat as you mentioned, so I use N vector such as Hair Normal VOP to shader so that the curves look as tubes. However, since I rendered polywires with bump and normal map on the primitives for increasing wire's quality, I'm facing a new issue about applying those maps. 

Thanks again. :)

Edited by aesthete