missile trail simulation/rendering

catchyid

Hi,

I want to simulate/render a missile smoke trail, I've used initially particles + sprites, but the result was not really satisfactory (see attached). My question here: I want to produce realistic film quality smoke trail, is it possible to do that using particles + sprites or I will just be wasting my time? I am still learning Houdini, but I think simulating smoke physics using particles + expressions/forces won't be possible, also rendering sprites to mimic real smoke is possible but would be challenging. I prefer to use particles+sprites though because I think they will be faster to simulate compared to pyro simulation, specially that the missile is traveling a vast distance and hence the fluid grid will get really big and too slow to simulate!? So in summary, should I keep trying with Particles + Sprites to produce film quality missile smoke trail OR I should switch to Pyro?

Thanks

missile_trail.png

Edited by catchyid

Here are a couple of example files to check out. One demonstrates copy/instancing of volumes along points. Try out the various switch options.

Untitled-1.jpg

The other one is really cool in that it demonstrates smoke clustering by instancing volume domains. This is how you keep your volumes from getting really large.

Untitled-2.jpg

ap_cluster_smoke_on_path_128.hipnc

ap_popnet_missile_trail_1e.hipnc

Edited by Atom
  • Like 4

Thanks guys... I think I must use pyro to get nice simulation/rendering. Thanks Atom for your teapot example, breaking down pyro simulation into multiple container is essential here to avoid having one big container, but I have a question though: would these container move fields between them, i.e. if temperature is rising at the border of one container, would the neighbor container catches that temperature or I have to write some code to move fields across the borders? 

Thanks