Creating constraint networks & connect adjacent pieces sop

I've been following the Destruction in Houdini tutorial done by Pawel Grochola after reading a ton of great reviews for it, and have been finding it great. However, he does some fun stuff with modifying the connect adjacent pieces SOP that no longer seem to work in 15.5. And in general, trying to replicate some of the work he does with cone-twist/pin contraints I find difficult because of how differently the SOP seems to work.

In his tutorial, he promotes the name attribute from primitives to points on geometry, scatters more points, then modifies the connect adjacent pieces SOP to build non-uniform constraint networks between chunks. I'm specifically trying to do it on a wall made of bricks (boxes just copies on an offset grid). However in 15.5 this method doesn't seem to generate the right results. Promoting the name just gets me a warning that the connect adjacent pieces SOP is ignoring the name attribute, using the baseline connect adjacent pieces gets me very uniform constraints only where existing points are (at the corners of the boxes).

In 15.5 is there a new method for accomplishing the same effect?

Happy to upload a file if it can help explain whats going on, but the scene I have is really really basic.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

It has been a long time since anybody wrote anything to this post but I hope you guys can still help me. 

I had the same problem as statuskwoh, thanks to you guys now its fixed. However, I still have another problem where cone and hard constraints always wiggle around on the floor sometimes even flying away. Glue constraints don't have a problem.  I followed the same tutorial and maybe now there is another way to do rigid sims but I would like to learn what I am doing wrong here.HardConstraintTest.hipnc

I also attached the scene file, you can check that out as well. Just simulate it and you'll see the non stopping crazy pieces.

HardConstraintTest.hipnc

Edited by tazdingoman