Vacuum space explosion

Hallo!

I'm trying to figure out how to properly do space explosion / impact on mars or any other planet that has no atmosphere.

I've read huge topic about smoke behavior: http://forums.odforce.net/topic/18397-get-rid-of-mushroom-effect-in-explosion-and-add-details-in-the-opening/

So let's begin from simple things.

REFERENCE:

rover_reference.gif

so behavior of dust/particles is... super simple. About like this:

particle_test_2.gif

Ans this behavior is everything I can't achieve with smokesolver. Maybe I'm idiot.

Test of explosion:

exposion_v07_no_pressure.gif

1. microsolver "projectmultigrid": When I turn off this microsolver it actually does what I'm trying to achive: no mushrooms because of no pressure. Thing is, I'm trying to somehow control gradient between on/off. Because velocity is not expanding. And there are a lot of artifacts.

Mushrooms in explosions are the effect of the pressure (from what I understand), and as it's wrote in large Jeff post (in link above) : divergence field. But because I'm working right now on smoke solver only : it does not have this field (no combustion model).

So main question is (probably): where should I control pressure. Or disable it? I've modified it on the dop level, with gasvop with pressure subtracted from itself, mult by 0 - but it did not had any effect (both presolve and postsolve). I assume it calculates this vel somewhere in between (?). I must be doing something wrong.

2. How to make smoke just keep going without twirls and all of that "nice stuff". Just inital vel, that's it. Imagine super simple sphere, default pyro, all off, only vel up.

What I've tried:

- somehow remove pressure (not sure I've done this right, but I could delete temperature, vel, density... but pressure without any luck)

- advect vel field itself (no difference in vel = no pressure), but that lead to uncontrolled vel turbulence, when used with more complex emitter.

- somehow blurring vel field and adding it when projectmultigrid was off to expand smoke.

- make those red particles a volume and to look like smoke, but there is problem with disappearing (they kind of always pop out of existence even if particles fade nice and slow).

Some tests:

advecting smoke only with "pipevel" , again projectmultigrid off (no mushrooms = good)

withOUT_projectmultigrid.PNG

Edited by ChargingImage
not mistake

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Atom said:

I ran into this topic a while back. Get Rid Of Mushroom Effect In Explosion. Perhaps there is some more information at that link?

On 22.12.2016 at 6:10 PM, ChargingImage said:

Hey Atom!

Unfortunately I've read that like 10 times. Not sure if I understood all correctly, but I know the topic. It kind of helped me with understanding problem, but not solving it.

Most simple cry out for help would be: how to force smoke to behave like simple, "lifeless", unturbulent, dull, boring particles.

Or maybe, how to render boring particles as nice looking smoke (no luck with that either).