Ripple solver on a deforming mesh

pau22

Hi!

I wonder if it's possible to use the ripple solver, either before or after meshing a flip sim, to get extra details on the surface.

I've tried to transfer the fluid surface mesh positions to a grid, so the geometry stays constant, without much success. I've looked some other threads but all the examples uses a static geometry. 

Any idea? 

Thanks!

Hi, you can try this way:
create a flat grid roughly matching shape of your flip simulation. Simulate ripples on flat grid. Then transfer position offset from deformed grid to the static one (input to ripple sim). Then attrib transfer those offsets from flat grid to flip mesh and displace points with the offset.

Something like that could work, but you will need a lot of geometry resolution to capture and transfer small details.

Another way would be to get more details during shading using displacement. UV-ing flips shold be easy with the new flip tools.

1 hour ago, Juraj said:

Hi, you can try this way:
create a flat grid roughly matching shape of your flip simulation. Simulate ripples on flat grid. Then transfer position offset from deformed grid to the static one (input to ripple sim). Then attrib transfer those offsets from flat grid to flip mesh and displace points with the offset.

Something like that could work, but you will need a lot of geometry resolution to capture and transfer small details.

Another way would be to get more details during shading using displacement. UV-ing flips shold be easy with the new flip tools.

Yes, it works! Thank you Juraj!

However, I will try to use displacement at render time because transferring the position offset directly to the flip mesh requires quite a lot of resolution.

Cheers!

ripple_to_deforming_mesh.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hello, can you elaborate more on how to " transfer position offset from deformed grid to the static one (input to ripple sim). Then attrib transfer those offsets from flat grid to flip mesh and displace points with the offset." 

I get it in theory but am working at scratch from home atm and looking for a bit of a head start.

Thank you!

• Like 1