Volume Shader Question

Hi,

I am doing a sea bed render with renderman in Houdini. I used an atmosphere shader "rman fog" in my scene. I am trying to add some light shafts by putting a few spotlight with volume smoke shader but the light shafts does not appear if I keep the "rman fog" on. The light shafts only visible when I turn the "rman fog" off. Why is that?

Can someone pls suggest me a way of adding some light shafts on the sea bed without affecting the "rman fog"?

I am pretty happy with the rendering speed. It only takes me 22sec to render the frame below with volume fog. (everything is done in Houdini)

thank you for your attentions!

post-894-1118753706_thumb.jpg

Ok i have no idea about rendering with renderman but i think to know that you can render curves with volume. Heres a quickly thrown together example how to get some "streak lines" to render as curves . The whole file is a mess and not working all that great but should give you an idea where to start .

Svenstreakstest.rar

SvenP,

Thank you so much! I have never thought of light beams could be achieved in this clever way! You widened my eyesight! I have no word to say except your scene is "FANTASTIC!"

thanks!

Ok i have no idea about rendering with renderman but i think to know that you can render curves with volume. Heres a quickly thrown together example how to get some "streak lines" to render as curves . The whole file  is a mess and not working all that great but should give you an idea where to start .

Svenstreakstest.rar

18780[/snapback]

Ok i have no idea about rendering with renderman but i think to know that you can render curves with volume. Heres a quickly thrown together example how to get some "streak lines" to render as curves . The whole file  is a mess and not working all that great but should give you an idea where to start .

Svenstreakstest.rar

18780[/snapback]

Great SvenP! very clever.

I have two questions about your technique.

One is about the width attribute, this atribute is used by mantra to know the width of each point? I suppose this is the reason by which you are using it.

The other question is how i can render curves, and how i can render curves with volume?