Houdini 16 mantra where is adaptive sampling

Hi,

I am new to mantra (I'm a vray user) and just wanted to find where are the new features that are supposed to be in Mantra in H16 ( I have now 16.0.634 apprentice installed.)

In the road map they were talking about new adaptive sampling in H16. But I can't find it anywhere. The funny things is that I see an adaptive checkbox in the rendering=>sampling tab under refraction quality in H15.5.632 but it is nowhere in H16...

Also in H16 doc ( http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/nodes/out/ifd#sampling_tab )they mention " Enable Indirect Sample Limits " (maybe just a new name for adaptive sampling) supposed to be right where the adaptive sampling box was in 15.5, but I don't see it in H16.

also in the H16 What’s new in Shading, and rendering page ( http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/news/16/rendering ) they mention "Fine-grained Quality sliders on the Mantra node’s Rendering ▸ Shading tab let you increase sampling quality for components (diffuse, SSS, reflection, refraction) individually."

But I don't see any fined-grained quality sliders...

I hope to see these soon cause in my early tests mantra seems really slow and I hope those settings could accelerate it a lot cause that's what V-Ray uses (among others things) to speed up rendering.

I also contacted support about this and so far I got at least an answer to one of my question: about the "Fine-grained Quality sliders" it's just a mistake in the doc: they are not in the shading tab but in the sampling one. It's just those sliders for reflection.refraction, sss, sampling etc. They were already in 15.5 except for sss.

Still waiting to know where are the "adaptive sampling" and "Enable Indirect Sample Limit"...

Houdini supports adaptive sampling for secondary (indirect) rays (check ray variance controls on Sampling Tab and Quality multipliers on lights), but not for primary (direct) rays, which was postponed afaik.

Ok I see when we uncheck "Ray variance Antialiasing" the individual controls disapear. So for the "adaptive sampling" checkbox, it was for primary rays but it was just postpone. thanks. B

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/1/2017 at 7:07 PM, Iskander said:

Are you from future man?

Yes I am but that doesn't allow me to install a future version of Houdini in present day computers, it's against the rule of spatio-temporal travel. in fact I think I just made a typo by replacing 5 by 6 somewhere...