Maths Book for Houdini

salik

Hi all,

I am trying to find Maths book for read and use into Houdini.
My impression about Houdini is that, you will need to know Mathematics, at least the basics of Linear Algebra, Vectors and Matrix? (Do correct me if I am wrong on that) It seems that you need to know such maths stuff to write/ generate out expression/ code out for complexity?

While I can easily find videos to brush up on the software skills, can anyone recommend me any books that I should read?
I tried googling online, found a variety of books that teaches mathematics in computer graphics, those that are recommended in forums I have seen, are pretty much outdated, not sure if it is ideal for me, a noob to look into.

These are very books that was recommended:
Book01
Book02
Book03

What should I check out?

There is also a new course on pluralsight.com that addresses this: 

Practical Houdini Math Tips By Beau Garcia
"This Houdini course will take the user over the fundamental math concepts that are pivotal to working within Houdini. Software required: Houdini 15."

https://www.pluralsight.com/courses/houdini-practical-math-tips

houdini-practical-math-tips-v1.jpg

• Like 2

I always recommend the first book - 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development -. The reason I think it's so good is that it's written without the usual denseness of academically driven tomes but it still manages to have substance as well as wit. It's also really well structured.

But for starters this series of web tutorials covers all the key concepts you need. Ignore the fact it looks like it was put together when Tim Berners Lee first had his idea for this new fangled thing called the Internet, it's a brilliant set of lessons and (and crib tests).

http://chortle.ccsu.edu/VectorLessons/vectorIndex.html

• Like 1

I would recommend "Game Engine Architecture" by Jason Gregory  isbn: 978-1466560017

There's only a like a single chapter directly related to math, but it goes over every major concept, vectors, quaternions, matrices.  It's very well done, and it's not focused on proofs like most math books ( like we weren't going to believe them :) ).

It's by far the best book I've read for learning how to work with 3D graphics applications, it goes over all the underlying concepts of computer graphics which is extremely useful for understanding and working with Houdini.

I like the concept of combining a 'proper' maths book and then use videos and game maths books to internalise the concepts. 

Linear Algebra:Pearson New International edition: Linear Algebra $$$$

https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Pearson-New-International-ebook/dp/B00IZ0L5M4

Calculus- Free!

Calculus in 3D: Geometry, Vectors and Multivariate Calculus - Tufts

19 hours ago, marty said:

I like the concept of combining a 'proper' maths book and then use videos and game maths books to internalise the concepts. 

Linear Algebra:Pearson New International edition: Linear Algebra $$$$

https://www.amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Pearson-New-International-ebook/dp/B00IZ0L5M4

Calculus- Free!

Calculus in 3D: Geometry, Vectors and Multivariate Calculus - Tufts

The Linear Algebra is a mathematics textbook right?

@salik yup. nothing but mathematics in it :) - you can preview the chapters online via Amazon.   There are lots great maths books - just look at what top university courses use and their prerequisites.

35 minutes ago, marty said:

@salik yup. nothing but mathematics in it :) - you can preview the chapters online via Amazon.   There are lots great maths books - just look at what top university courses use and their prerequisites.

That will certainly help me if I decided to do computer science/ maths courses if I am planning to go to university!

While I think it may help me, I thought it may be better to get something that will allows me to apply directly for Houdini / any CG usage? It is just in my pov, that book may be a bit too technical, no?