Maya style tearing out submenues in Houdini

lubitel

Would it be too much of a hustle to implement ability to "tear out" sub menus like one is able to do in Maya?
It would be beneficial in learning when studying the nodes.
Especially in the node area when using the TAB.

tear-off-menu-anim.gif

Edited by lubitel
clarity

You're using Maya 5? Damn...

Not sure how important is this, but Maya's not the only or the first to have "tear-able" menus. My point being "tear-able menus" is enough to get the point across  - no need for "like Maya".

p.s. Yes, I miss no opportunity to crap on Maya - the shit standard of CGI industry.

p.p.s Houdini doesn't rely on traditional menus as much as maya or other s/w does (it's all about the tool bars and the Tab menu) so this feature, while not damaging in any way, is not extremely useful either in the current state of affairs.

Edited by McNistor

The are tear-able panes in Houdini. The drop down menu's do not contain, common tools like Maya does. So while it may be useful on rare occasion, it's extremely less frequent than use in a Maya workflow, i.e. you use the tab menu and nodes in Houdini. 

Plus for Maya for a quick workflow you should map all your options that you use from the tear-able pains to hot-keys. It's way more efficient than navigating by mouse in the menu system.

The RMB viewport menu would be good to be tearable/pinable. i.e. a lot of options are hidden away in there sculpt tool, construction plane tool etc

I can understand, but as my personal priority you still don't interact with those menus that common. Plus hot keys would still be more efficient, especially for modelling. Definitely worth an RFE. It's certainly do able with their update to the ui in H16. But... IMO still not as efficient.

13 hours ago, McNistor said:

You're using Maya 5? Damn...

I did a search on the web and it was the first animated gif I found. The version of Maya and comparison of Houdini to Maya is not the point here.

Improving workflow for users like me who might have had use for the feature is :)

Submit the RFE to SideFX,

https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/

You just need a basic account on SideFX, and if you have already downloaded the software then you have one. The forums are only useful for general public discourse. SideFX only officially actively reviews BUGS and RFE in their database, even the Wishlist are just for a weird form of group ranting and self therapy, lol.

• Like 1