Pyro Jet Exhaust

Sedatyf

Hi guys ! 

I'm trying to make a afterburner, jet gas exhaust effects, but I'm struggling right now. 
I looked at the Pyro Jet Exhaust HDA from SideFX (https://www.orbolt.com/asset/SideFX::pyrojetexhaust). I opened it and look how it works but I still can't understand. There is no combustion, no flames, no smoke, is it just fuel/gas ? 

If this so, how can I make it collide with an object ? Like when a rocket beginning to launch, the afterburner collide with the floor. 

Thank you for your help guys

Creating flame and gas/exhaust as the same object might not be the best approach, it all depends. For a rocked or a jet exhaust, it's likely I would personally split it into one volume - as in non simulated volume - for the flame itself and then create a separate fire/smoke effect on top of that for the secondary effects from that flame.

Now, there's probably situations where it would make sense doing a real flame in Pyro, though I haven't run into that kinda need so far. This is all made in Fusion but the principle kinda is the same, the exhaust is a particle system, but the flame itself was a 3D model...  :)

Yeah, then you got full control over the flame itself. Now I didn't do research last I did this or now, but if I was asked to do this in production, I'd do some proper research into how the patterning inside works, how the size and frequency of those patterns change with the burn rate, how the flame density and temperature drives coloring, etc - here I just faked the sh!t out of the look, hehe... ;)

And note that this is not the setup I used for the Fusion setup - that I did inside Fusion - but it was basically the same setup as this one. Also, this is just the mesh, for the shading I'd convert the elements to volumes and create a set of custom volume attributes to drive the shader density, coloring, etc...

5948eb3700246_Screenshotfrom2017-06-2011-29-58.thumb.png.2ab61dd00f6bcdd8be6421a2111becbb.png

exhaust_flame.hiplc

Edited by Farmfield

No prob's, I've been bad at helping out here for a while, trying to get better though. :)

And I have a lot of scene files like this posted on my Vimeo feed, lots of "tricks" and smaller techniques I stumbled onto, doing RnD, etc, so that's also something to check out if you're into getting to know Houdini...