Any Changes In Hdk8?

I've tried to recompile one my custom sop which perfectly works in H7.

Compilation has passed without errors, but when I try to run the operator it gives out an error like "Error: Invalid source /obj/model/merge1".

What can be the reason? Any changes in HDK?

Btw, Gentoo, kernel-2.6.11, gcc 3.3.5

I'd expect there are quite a few small changes... I'm trying to remember what we had to do to get some of ours to compile.. hmmm. Was it something related to lockInputs() or inputGeo()? I can't remember. Perhaps someone from SESI can clarify (again)?

We Houdini8-ified most of our SOPs a while ago and have had incremental changes that I don't fully recall. Check the sample SOPs of Houdini 8 versus the Houdini 7 samples - perhaps it'll shed some light?

Hey Jason,

just curious, do you guys re-compile for each minor version? I know in the past we've compile for 7.0 once and used the same .so for all the variants.. 7.0.xxx. 8 has been changing a lot and my thought was once they release it then we can assume that an 8 compiled plugin will work for the minor versions.. is that a bad assumption?

I'm just wondering if we should change our dso paths to be more specific

daniel

Hey Jason,

just curious, do you guys re-compile for each minor version?  I know in the past we've compile for 7.0 once and used the same .so for all the variants.. 7.0.xxx.  8 has been changing a lot and my thought was once they release it then we can assume that an 8 compiled plugin will work for the minor versions.. is that a bad assumption?

I'm just wondering if we should change our dso paths to be more specific

daniel

20040[/snapback]

Yeah, we have a build-script that compiles all the core SOPs very easily for any minor version we install. There are couple of bigger, more awkward ones that we have to do by hand (like heavy fluid-sim things), but yep the little ones get built when we install a new minor ver.

You never know when SESI will touch a function and it'll change it's entry point in some library and we've had "unexplained" lockups at random times that seem very hard to track down. We had a bad experience (our fault) when we were switching from 5.0 to 5.5 and we had a mismatch in a minor version of a DSO that made us seriously doubt the stability of Houdini. Our fault, but it was a DSO in some obscure path that we didn't build right.... hence the birth of the build script.

Yeah, we have a build-script that compiles all the core SOPs very easily for any minor version we install. There are couple of bigger, more awkward ones that we have to do by hand (like heavy fluid-sim things), but yep the little ones get built when we install a new minor ver.

Good to know, thnx.

daniel

BTW.. sorry to hi-jack the thread