Affecting viscosity using heat field

cakeray

I have already gotten started and I'm using the Gas Particle to Field operator to simulate an external heat field. However, with my current set up it looks more like a high temperature object that is slowly cooling over time rather than one that is being heated and then cooled like in the video link above. Any ideas what I can do to get it working right?

sample_heat_field_v2.hipnc

1 hour ago, vtrvtr said:

I put in red what I changed. I tried to not change the values you had. I just the gas blur radius and the viscosity scale just to make effects more obvious

sample_heat_field_v2.hipnc

I took a look at the file and that's not exactly what I'm looking for. I want to be able to create a more natural looking melting effect without using any external animated geometry. I'm looking to use heat (temperature) from the surrounding 3d space to influence the object. Sort of like using a pyro temperature to affect a flip simulation..

Any advice/ideas on how best to tackle this?

Do you have a reason to not want to use external geometry? Seems like a strange request. External geometry makes controlling your effect much easier. It's used all the time

But, if do not want to use any type of exterior geometry, the only choice I think you have is alter the particles directly. It's possible, but I don't really see any upside

You can do that by directly changing the temperature inside a popvop or a pop wrangle. Also, take a look at the gas temperature update dop, it commonly used in melting setups 

57 minutes ago, vtrvtr said:

Do you have a reason to not want to use external geometry? Seems like a strange request. External geometry makes controlling your effect much easier. It's used all the time

But, if do not want to use any type of exterior geometry, the only choice I think you have is alter the particles directly. It's possible, but I don't really see any upside

You can do that by directly changing the temperature inside a popvop or a pop wrangle. Also, take a look at the gas temperature update dop, it commonly used in melting setups 

I'm currently trying to simulate (relatively) realistic melting. So I would like to simulate it based on the surrounding temperature rather than using animated geometry. My main aim is to simulate melting by creating various sections on the model with different viscosity values and have it melt at different rates using the surrounding temperature.

I have taken a look at the gas temperature update dop but that hasn't really helped since I want to simulate heating and then cooling rather than just cooling. 

Any ideas/leads would be immensely helpful!