Wire Sim with Changing Point Count Source

LukeLetellier

I'd like to perform a dynamics simulation on a wire that I'm growing in length via SOPs, but the wire solver doesn't appear to be built to take in a changing-point-count polywire as an input, as everything goes haphazard very quickly. Is there a known work-around to this? 

Thanks,

Luke

Don't change the point count :) . You can do something like this, but in your case timeshift your curve to the last frame and match the animation with the carve instead: growingWire.hipnc

You could probably sim the wire with grains+constraints as well, might be a bit more forgiving with changing pointcounts given that it's just particles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skybar said:

Don't change the point count :) . You can do something like this, but in your case timeshift your curve to the last frame and match the animation with the carve instead: growingWire.hipnc

You could probably sim the wire with grains+constraints as well, might be a bit more forgiving with changing pointcounts given that it's just particles.

Thanks for the file!

The latter option of a sim with grains & constraints sounds like the best possibility for what I'm after (something akin to a spider-man web-sling effect), but would still present a similar challenge. In my original setup (attached), a pop emitter shoots out initial particles, a wrangle draws wires from each emitted particle to their sourceptnum, the wire is resampled as it gets longer, and the result is fed into a DOP wire solver. But, with multiple wires being resampled simultaneously, the point numbers change, and the solver is no longer sure where one polywire end and the other begins. I'm guessing I'd run into a similar issue with PBD.

WireSim_Letellier.hipnc