Path for Houdini self learn

VoidHole

Hello everybody!

I'm a CGI artist who wants to specialize in FX and just starts with Houdini in earnest.
I've been tinkering for a couple of months, recreating a tutorial and I already have basic knowledge of how the structure works in Houdini and also a bit of intro to basic RBD and particles with basic SideFX tutorials.

I have no knowledge of VEX or VOPS, etc.

So now that I want to dedicate myself more seriously, I am sure that in February I will do the Intro to FX course: http://www.cgsociety.org/training/course/introduction-to-fx-using-houdini1

or the Pyro of Rebelway: https://rebelway.net/mastering-pyro-fx-in-houdini/

However, from today to that day, I would like to start with a plan to learn really in an orderly way Houdini and assimilate the concepts to be able to get to enter the film industry as FX Artist.

For that, here I leave my doubts about what would be the right way to learn Houdini until I can create a JR reel?

1) Is there a specific order of things to learn before going into destructions, fluids, explosions, etc?

2) If there is such an order as I can do it in a self-taught way or with more affordable tutorials than the courses that I mentioned for almost $ 800?

3) I know that now is the boom of people who specialize in FX and I would like to learn well not to do the typical exercises of all the reels that are based on tutorials.

Greetings and many thanks for your patience!

Give yourself a task and then try and complete it - I find this a good way to learn. e.g. find an effect someone else has done and then try and replicate it yourself.

The first thing I did was to make a procedural fence asset so that taught me to use some basic math, introduced the copySOP with stamping, switches, rays and some simple modeliing techniques.