Algorithms on the node graph in geometry context

AntoineSfx

I'm not sure if this is the right approach to do this in Houdini, but is it possible, and if so, practical , to run algorithms on the graph ?

Let's say upstream from one node, without adding coupling (that's the point..), I want to find merge nodes with certain characteristics, for example merge with only primitive spheres as inputs, and animate those spheres.

you could do this with a python approach. I do similar things to change parameters on certain nodes in my graphs. for example I have written a python script that lets me select every object merge node that does not contain relative paths and then change it to relative.

do you want to do the animation with that algorithm as well or is it just a "selection tool" for what needs to be animated?

14 minutes ago, Jesper Rahlff said:

you could do this with a python approach. I do similar things to change parameters on certain nodes in my graphs. for example I have written a python script that lets me select every object merge node that does not contain relative paths and then change it to relative.

do you want to do the animation with that algorithm as well or is it just a "selection tool" for what needs to be animated?

Yes I wanted to see if it's possible to sequentially move each primitive from a point (say somewhere on a line according to its index in the array of the primitives I want to animate), to its actual position 

Maybe it's a for loop after all, but I wanted to encode the way it will be animated in the graph itself. Like find the merges that are 2 levels up, do something on them ( sort their primitive , pack them, ..), and do the same thing on the merges 1 level up, and so on. I don't know if that makes sense though