pyro dust with camera move

johnLIC

Does anyone have general advice for a long shot with a huge zoom out/pull back? I'm trying to create some lingering dust.  I can simulate at high enough resolution to get a decent rendered look when the camera is pulled back and we see the whole sim, but I've got almost 200 frames at the beginning of this shot where the camera is zoomed in and looking at a small section of the sim.  That part doesn't look like much right now.  Is there any alternative to simming a whole dining room with 3 mm voxels?  Any advice on slow moving, lingering smoke?

Edited by johnLIC

If the dust is hanging out lingering without any dissipation you may want to consider leveraging OpenCL for speed up. 200 frames is not a lot and 3 million voxels is pretty low res.

I have attached the official Jeff Wagner OpenCL explanation file found on the SideFX website. Read the notes inside. If you can fit your simulation into the required rules you will get a very fast simulation time.

Also, you can animate the size of the pyro box that contains the simulation. When you are up close keep the voxel area nice and small then increase when your camera moves out.

opencl_explanation.hip

Edited by Atom

Thanks!  My Nvidia GTX 970 has 4GB of GPU RAM.  In that demo file I can crank the Uniform Divisions on the smoke object to 210 before the smoke solver stops working.  That gets me 9,600,000 voxels.  I'm using about 27 million voxels before I get a decent render.  Maybe I can split the space up into smaller chunks....