Boolean issue, non manifold edge...maybe

misterbil

Hi,

I'm trying to remove part of a sphere with a bunch of other spheres that I converted to vdb then to polygon to use like metaball and have a single geometry to use to "cut" the other one.

Thinking (silly me) it would make it easier.

if I switch the input of the Boolean node it kind of work, but I need the reverse of it. It was working great with the cookie SOP before. but I'm guessing new node require new workflow (which is fine, I just haven't understand it yet).:)

The boolean node is giving me a warning "NonManifold edges in solid...pnumbersnumbers" I added a Clean sop afterward to try to fix it but no luck,

I included my hip, if anyone of you nice people could help or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

I also attached the intended result, which I got with the cookie sop a long time ago.

thanks

SplashScreen01.hip

Capture.JPG

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I'm currently having the same issue :
Running a boolean on clean geometry generate non-manifolds, so when I run a second boolean later, it generates errors.
If someone knows how to get rid of non-manifolds or just prevent boolean to generate non-manifolds ? =)

Thomas

hmm can't look at the file right now but quickly did a setup myself (16.5) and it works just fine.

will look at it tonight but in the meantime you might go with a vdb workflow. convert the big sphere to vdb aswell, dont convert the small ones back to polys and use a vdb combine (set to SDF difference). then convert to polys

Edited by 3dome