HPOmen 17 or Alienware 17 or ZBook or something else, mainly for houdini

Arun

Hey guys,

From INDIA here.... Pretty urgent..

I'm thinking of adding an i7 laptop in my home/studio, since we have an i5 desktop, and this time, I need a portable 17inch option.

I've researched online and came up with these

1. Alienware 17 with nvidia 1060 16gb RAM

2. HP omen 17 with similar config as above

3. HP ZBook 17 G4 Mobile Workstation ( no SSD though )

4. Others such as Acer predator helios 300 / Lenovo y520 / Asus Rog Strix 7xx, though not greatly inclined because either they're 15inch or poor after-work support. I might be wrong!!

This is where I want you to help me zero in on the best-performer, for visual effects/dynamics in houdini, mainly. Or if you can give me even better ones, Great!!!

PS: From India, so have limited models/brands compared to the US. Hence, suggestion like razer Blade, sager etc won't help..

Edited by Arun

I wouldn't buy a laptop if the primary use is going to be Houdini. They simply don't have the hardware to make it worthwhile. Not enough memory, not enough cores, lower end GPU. Get a workstation or at least a desktop form factor machine where it can have more cores and more memory (and more power and cooling for all of it).

Thanks Luke. I understand the limitations, but my main requirement this time is mobility, between work, clientele and home. Can you suggest the best one available right now, which can give a desktop-like performance with Houdini - one of HP ZBook, Alienware, Lenovo Legion, HP Omen, Inspiron 7577 ( MSI, ASUS ROG is ultra-expensive, so... Acer Helios should've been a contender, if not for their customer-support here)

I personally find ZBook attractive - 17", 4 SODIMMS upto 64 GB RAM, but with Quadro3000/2200. Of late, posts on odforce have been complaining about drop in quality. Is it true?

Alienware, here in India, is limited to 2 SLOTS, I.E 32gb, with 1070.

When are the 8th gen laptops arriving in India or atleast Xeons? Thinkpad P50 seems to have been discontinued

Edited by Arun

On 3/2/2018 at 12:02 PM, Arun said:

Can you suggest the best one available right now, which can give a desktop-like performance with Houdini

That's the issue. There aren't any laptops that will provide desktop like performance. Not even close. The ThinkPad P51 would be my first choice but it's still really slow compared to a desktop of equivalent value (note the P51 replaced the P50 model).