Flip fluids Jeff Wagner

Sophie

Hi there,

This is the first time I'm positing it, so I hope everything is in the right place :). I've been watching the Jeff Wagner tutorials for flip fluids and I have a question about one of his examples. In the water rapids file, the fluid basically flows over the side of the terrain and out. I tried changing the velocity, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I also tried to make the fluid follow a curve with a velocity field, but this doesn't look natural at all. I was wondering if anyone can maybe explain why this happens and also if anyone knows how to fix this?

Thanks. 

flow over edge.PNG

@StepbyStepVFX Hi, I have tried playing with gravity and gas wind as well. Changing the gravity in Y only, only makes it flow down quicker. Playing with X and Z either doesn't help enough, or by the time it doesn't flow over one side anymore, it starts flowing over the other side :/. Could you maybe explain what the scale of the scene could have to do with this? Sorry if that is a bit of a silly question, but I am really new to fluids. 

Sorry for not replying earlier. I tried this out and you are right that this is what causes it. I also tried to keep the landscape the same, but then use a popcurve and turning of the wind. I tried to play around with the values and the ramps a little. It did give me some results closer to what I am looking for, but I ended up getting that lump out in the end anyway.

When I use the suction and such on the river, I feel the result is a bit too strong. I tried to make a curve on the landscape and give it a negative suction, so it would be pushed away from the curve and the land. This did help a little bit, but it still doesn't work perfect.

If anyone has any other ideas, I would still like to hear! :)

The first give is the popcurve with wind, the second one is the popcurve without wind and with a suction force.

gif popcurve wind.gif

gif suction force.gif

• Like 1