Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

your talk reminds me of one very old program. check this out:

http://www.digi-element.ru/media/wbmovies/...talelement2.avi

http://www.digi-element.ru/media/wbmovies/...alelement2.mpeg

http://www.digi-element.ru/media/wbmovies/wonderslime1.avi

http://www.digi-element.ru/media/wbmovies/...talelement1.avi

i believe this software has one of the best surface generators. Basicly you are drawing curves and they are attracting the surface around them. There is a lot more to say, but the main advantage is that the you are not limited to paint elevation maps only, but can dig caves as well ( just an example ).

As far as i can remember the generation curves are animatable.

Checked the gallery today - the pictures there is not showing the potential of this app.

Outch :o  talking about erosion, displace, etc... these images hurt my eyes with so much beautyful detail on the terrain and clouds. I have spent about 1/3 of my life looking at rendered images and have never seen anything like this.

24407[/snapback]

damn.... this guy stuff is incredible!!!

when I saw in example this one: http://dmytry.pandromeda.com/mojoworld/vie...5_tex8_b_pp.jpg

I started to wonder how can it be compared to DD clouds and terain stuff in Stealth??? I bet DD spend many $$ for clouds and here in Mojo we got something similar (better? :ph34r: ).

Mojoworld looks like 'simple' app. Everybody use all these 'big' apps but here... big suprise... wow.... I didn't found any animations, so this is stuff for stills ???

damn.... this guy stuff is incredible!!!

when I saw in example this one: http://dmytry.pandromeda.com/mojoworld/vie...5_tex8_b_pp.jpg

I started to wonder how can it be compared to DD clouds and terain stuff in Stealth??? I bet DD spend many $$ for clouds and here in Mojo we got something similar (better?  :ph34r: ).

Mojoworld looks like 'simple' app. Everybody use all these 'big' apps but here... big suprise... wow.... I didn't found any animations, so this is stuff for stills ???

24442[/snapback]

Funny, when I first looked at the that link I think my eyes crossed. Couldn't tell if the mountain was sitting on the cloud or 2 pictures or if it's just a band of cloud covered a section, creating an illustion that the mountain was sitting on the cloud. :D Nice tho.

DD's Storm is built with resolution, speed, flexibility, and quality in mind. It's essential to be able to get the result fast in a project.

Hello, i'm is Dmytry (looked at referrer log on my site and came there :) i love to see my site discussed :) )

It actually can do animation quite well, i.e. rendertimes is allright for movie use and it doesn't flicker. You can look at the bottom of page, there's explanations of few things. The main limiting factor is, i have one PC that i use for development and rendering, so i don't render many animations.

Betatesters did some test animations to ensure the plugin works allright, i'll ask 'em to provide animations for placing on my site.

Actually I just started rendering some cloud animation by popular demand (been asked by some other people too), as i'm writing it, animation goes at 6 minutes per 512x384 frame. The problem with MW is that it's kinda hard to edit camera path in it, and it has no import for camera path.

By the way... looking at Stealth movie, it seemed to me that they could have rendered clouds at lower resolution and then upsampled and nobody would notice (actually that's often the case with clouds in the real world hehe :D ) so maybe they did that for speed, it would make sense to do.

As about plugging it into Houdini, i considered this idea. It should be possible, and with Houdini's procedurals, result should be even better than with MojoWorld. I don't really have money to buy commercial version of Houndini though, only have this free non-commercial one. If I will be provided with commercial version and SDK i probably can port the plugin.

I started developing the clouds about year and half ago, and it kind of improved over time, both in quality and speed, and the improvement still continues. So the "good clouds and isosurfaces in 'simple' application".

BTW it must be said procedural textures part in MojoWorld isn't exactly simple as it supports "function graphs" sufficiently well to for example procedurally define shape of mushroom cloud and the shockwaves to be rendered with volumetrics, or procedurally define all those things you can see on my site (even this weird techno moon that is in fact isosurface, or this thing). MojoWorld's own renderer is indeed simple, but i'm not using it much anyway, i used volumetrics to render everything except fish and tree meshes.

Speaking of erosion fractal, it's really new, and as far as I know hadn't been ever done before(though many people tried).

I needed that to really bring procedural terrain generation quality to level of clouds, it always looked to me like obvious CG terrain with possibly-photo clouds.

Erosion is animation friendly, there's test movie(fly over mountains) (you'll need 3ivx codec), rendered at 2..3 minutes per frame, 512x384, with 2x2 supersampling. Terrain is isosurface(aka implicit surface) rendered with my volumetrics, atmosphere is rendered with volumetrics too. I rendered this movie to check for popping artifacts, so shadows was turned off, and there's no material on terrain yet, and so it isn't avaliable on main site. In this animation you can see how my erosion can be zoomed in. It caches previously computed results for speed, so first frame took about 15 minutes (computing everything) and consequent were about 2..3 minutes (computing only new bits).

Regards,

Dmytry.

It does indeed, I use it myself at home all the time.

Welcome Dmytry, I hope you have some time to try this stuff out in Houdini. Its a great environment for developing 3d stuff in because you get so much for "free" By which I mean you can use all the functionality that is already in Houdini and just link in your own renderer or procedural texture node or whatever and you don't need to re-invent the wheel for all the standard stuff. The HDK (Houdini dev kit - rather than SDK) is a little tricky because of the lack of good docs, but people here are very willing to help out, especially when the project is a good one like this. Check out the hdk forum and the odwiki to get you started.

Thanks! To be honest, i haven't played with Houdini much yet, but it sure looks great, so many functions and everything.

BTW, Apprentice EULA says it's for noncommercial use only... what's with using it to do testing when developing commercial plugin? (or rather plugin that will probably be free in betas but may be commercial when finished...)

Tho I probably should contact official people about it.

I'll sure work with Apprentice more.

Thanks! To be honest, i haven't played with Houdini much yet, but it sure looks great, so many functions and everything.

24457[/snapback]

Welcome Dmytry, nice to see you here.

This is a great community, and it has been about an year that I've joined them, and am using the Apprentice just for the fun of it :-).

Sorry for another offtopic post, there's animation i have rendered to test for popping artifacts in renderer (got none)

http://dmytry.pandromeda.com/flight1.avi

(just test, so camera slowly flies forward. Also there's lot of aliasing on ground, it's because unfortunately there's no way in mojoworld to render ground with supersampling and clouds without (clouds don't need supersampling)

Render time was 6 minutes per frame(p4 2.8 GHz), 512x384.

What you think, is it fast or slow for such scene? (clouds all way to horizon(it's real spherical planet btw)), comparing to other things avaliable out there. BTW it doesn't use precomputed voxels, it uses combination of few perlin noises (scene is big so...). With precomputed voxels it probably can be lot faster.